Friday 10 May 2024

Fresh and New Adventures

I did some knitting yesterday but my brother came for a quick overnight stop.  He is fun to sit and talk with about geography and the many ways there are to experience a place while travelling and kids and grandkids (though he has no grandkids yet, he is familiar with mine) and things from when we were kids and things we did and places we lived and so much more.  I just enjoy talking to him.   

He did go for a walk to downtown Mundare and stopped by Lori's Eats and Treats  and he brought some of her great food home.  We have had her wonderful Jamaican patties before and some of her jerk chicken too.  She is a great cook and you can find her at the Ardrossan Farmers Market, the Morinville Farmers Market and the Farmers Market at the Terwillegar Rec Center parking lot in Edmonton as well as here in Mundare.  Lionel, my brother picked up some soup that I can't wait to try for lunch and a taste of her Jamacan yam pudding.  The pudding is a little bit like my yam pie/pudding but gentler and more complex.  There a raisins in it too and let me tell you, it is magical.  He brought back some of her fresh bread too and some of her amazing onion and cheese buns.  You haven't had onion buns till you have tried hers.  Lori is amazing. 

Because I had to tidy up some to get the spare bedroom/sewing room/storage room ready for an overnight, I spent part of my day taking a good long look at my skirt patterns before I folded them up to set away for a bit.  Like usual, I have been avoiding them because I have no confidence in my ability to draft and measure.  I should have a belief in me because after measuring them against my body once again, they should work.  Plus, I have fabric, that old sheet to try them out on.  

I only have one sheet though so, I will only be able to try one pattern on complete waster material. I have to decide between the basic A line, a 200% A line suitable for soft gathers or pleats and a half circle skirt.  The one that will have most value to me (I think) will be the 200% A line because it deals with some of the fit issues I have. I am very hopeful that I can make an A line or the half circle skirt to accommodate my body shape though. It would be nice to have a smooth fitting waist. I am very interested in the other patterns because they could easily be adapted to pants or culotte style pants as well.  

I am going to hit the sewing room to see what other fabrics I have that I can use for a trial skirts and see what happens.  Plus I have to invent a pocket/skirt opening so that I can still avoid zippers.  I have lots of pattern paper and a good idea of what I want. I just need to make it work in real life.

So off on another adventure with knitting tucked into corners of the day.  The sky is clear and promises to be warm.  After our rain earlier this week, the grass is green everywhere and the trees are fully budding.  The world is all fresh and new and it looks like it is going to be a very good day.

No comments: