Thursday 11 January 2024

Consolation and Comfort.

Running late this morning but for a good reason.  I woke at four but felt I was not finished sleeping. I turned on an audio book and promptly fell asleep.  I now have no idea what was going on in the book and am going to have to start over, but I feel really good.  It is nice bit of out of routine feeling.

After the running out of yarn problem, I deliberately chose to work on something where I know I have lots of yarn.  

I pulled out my version of Utkiek by Anke Telschow.  I started this sweater in October but with all the blanket knitting, did not really get going on it.  I was having trouble keeping the increases in the texture pattern.  The sweater pattern is written to accommodate knitters like me and I decided to go with a moss stitch pattern for the first section of the pattern. It meant starting from scratch but I knew it was the right thng. I was only ten or eleven rows in so not a big loss at all.  

I love the Utkiek pattern because of the simple textures.  I love it too because it is stripes. Stripes are engaging to knit.  I love the pattern because it lends itself to using yarns that you have.  Each colour stripe uses about 200 metres of yarn.  The designer has picked a main colour which uses between 600 and 800 metres but it is easy to swap out and do your own thing depending on what you have.  My biggest modification is yarn weight.  It is designed for sport weight and I am using Lett Lopi.

I have lots of yarn left from my Hun Sweater project.  That happened because of how and why I purchased the yarn. I  always thought I would knit a coordinating sweater or vest for under the Hun cardigan, but since I sewed up the front, I don't need it.     

I have a bunch of green, colour 1407, seven before I started the sweater.  This will be my main colour.  


I have one ball each of rust, 9427, and one ball of 0005.  They will be used if needed.  They could be an interesting addition to the button band if required. 


I have about 200 metres of 1419 over two partly used skeins and one full skein.


I have two and a half skeins of 1420, 


 two full skeins of 0867.  


and finally, two skeins of 1418.


Plenty of yarn to do a sweater and it should be enough to simply knit and enjoy.  The original sweater calls for six colours and I have only five but according to all the project pages on Ravelry, it is a longer sweater.  Whatever I get, I get.



I restarted yesterday and am really enjoying the knit. It is a comfort to be knitting a yarn I love that is so different in character to the problem sweater.  Consolation if you will but it feels good.

No comments: