Wednesday 10 January 2024

All I really need is... a corner

I have a wonderful stash of yarns.  Really wonderful.  Looking at my yarns makes me feel good and I sometimes wonder about how emotionally connected I am to my yarn.  I mean, is it normal?  I don't know and I don't really care but do wonder about it.  Where and perhaps when does the emotional commitment to a bunch of things become a hoarding disorder? ( I don't hoard because I have an upper limit.  It is just a rather large upper limit.  That is my story and I am sticking to it.  You may define as you wish.)  

The thing is I don't really have a huge urge to buy yarn anymore.  I no longer fill my cart at the big online yarn websites just for the fun of shopping for it.  I just don't feel the need to go to the yarn store when I am feeling restless and out of sorts.  I can make that feeling go away right here by digging in my lovely large stash.  My stash fulfills me.  When I do get yarn now it is usually for a specific purpose, like kids wear or finishing a project or needing another skein or colour to do a colour work project.  

So if I tell you that I might have to go yarn shopping, you know something is up.

I ran out of yarn.


For the first time ever, I ran out in a big way, not just a few stitches but a big way.  A miscalculation way and I hate it.

I added four stitches to the width of this border and now, I wish I had not.  If I had not, there would have been enough yarn to finish the bottom of this sweater.  Just enough though.  I have three skeins left of the Pesto colourway, plenty for sleeves, but unless I get another skein of the Kelp colourway, I would have to rip back the whole bottom and I really, really don't want to do that.  This bottom bit has been boring and fun, when most knitting is just fun.  I would rather take off the neckline and change the sweater to be closer to the original design than reknit the bottom.  And as heinous at it sounds, I am considering that.  

I need to step back and give this a good think.  The turtleneck idea was because I wanted a warm neck for the approaching winter.  It was the foundation of thinking about this project the second time around.  Can you change the foundation of a thing at this late stage? 


 
The next problem: Is the neckline of the Pesto part of the sweater too wide to sit properly on its own? If the green comes off, does the sweater neckline sit so it will be a garment I will enjoy wearing?  I think so but it is going to have to take a good try on to see.  

I  don't really want to buy another skein of yarn.  I will if I absolutely must to reach my goal of a great sweater out of this really lovely yarn but I don't want to.  I feel as if I am right back to thinking about the yarns and colours as I purchased them.  It feels like everything is changing about this garment and right now I feel like I have no control.  

Time to put this project in that corner in my mind to think on it.  Well over sixty and I still need timeouts. 

No comments: