Friday 22 December 2023

Solisticial Delights

This is it.  Last night at about 8:30 p.m., the darkest day was marked.  It is officially winter.  

And I am thrilled.  That means from today, days are getting longer.  We may be going into the coldest time of the year but the days are getting longer and that makes it all right.

I have cookies to decorate and butter tarts and buns to make but that is it. I might make some cheesecake tarts too but pie crust is easy and it doesn't take much to make cut out small circles.  This is the most baking I have done in years and I am loving it.  So is Keith.  He is the test pilot or quality control.  He likes his job. 

Of course I like to eat some of it too.  

I did no knitting yesterday but for two rows on a plain sock.  I did pull it back to the toe and pulled out the last two increase rounds to get to my desired stitch count.  




Pulling it back and making it the right size might seem a bit of a downer, but honestly, for me, making it right feels good.  It just means more knitting plus the finished product is going to fit nicer and there is nothing like a pair of handknit socks that fit your feet well.  

This blog is going to go on a bit of a pause over the next week or so.  I will probably pop in later next week, but I am going to take some days to simply relax and goof around and just play. There will be knitting but no serious push to finish things.  There are a few play projects in the planning stages and there is a good possibility that the only thing I will do is knit swatches for colours and gauge swatches or to teach myself new techniques.  There will be much reading of favourite books and finding comfort in familiar and the familial.  (My kids are all visiting)

From my house to yours, whatever holiday you celebrate at this time of year, I wish you the very best.  I wish for peace for all of us, for plenty for all of us, for joy in all the ways we need to find it.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and all your family. May 2024 bring us all peace and joy.
I love reading your blog!
Wendy from Elmira, Ontario.