Thursday 28 December 2023

Norwegian Knitting Thimble

Before I begin the big breaking news of the blog, hi to Wendy from Elmira. I hope you have a great New Year.  

And now,  Wow. Just wow.

Using a Norwegian knitting thimble or ring is amazing.  


I completed this in a couple hours.  I aimed to make a small close fitting cowl, something close fitting and almost turtleneck like. I wanted to be able to use it as a headband for winter wear and to be able to push it down and wear around my neck.  Headbands are everywhere this year and though it is small for a cowl, it suits what I want.  This is the result.  I will be redoing the cast off this morning.  It's sloppy and I can do better.  Serves me right for pushing when I ought to have left it for today.

It took about two hours using the knitting thimble and the above result is as it came off the needles.  No blocking.  It is impressively smooth for the colourwork I produce.  Using the little Norwegian Knitting Thimble made the whole process smooth.  It took all the effort out of it, all the worry about holding yarn to tight or too loose is simply not a thing at all.  The yarn just behaves, very much like you are holding one strand.    All of the very talented and nimble fingered among you who can do it off one finger without a thimble?  You have my endless admiration.  But thank heavens for the person who invented this tool.  The knitting ring is going to become a very treasured tool.  

A few things to know.  I knit continental.  Specifically, continental combined.  This tool is designed for use by those among us who tension and feed our yarn with our left hand.  I'm not sure if it can be useful for those of you who tension your yarn with your right hand.  But I trust the answer is out there.  

One after Christmas adventure was a complete success.

The second adventure begins today.  I need some new mittens.  My current pair have shrunk in length.  I wear them at night as a second layer over my wristwarmers on occasion. It is really great for easing mild arthritic pain. I need a new pair for going out and about.  

I am going to stick with this yarn and I am going to try double knitting some mittens.  I will use the rust and green to form a pattern to match the headband/neckwarmer.  Might as well coordinate, right?     There are a few times where a double sided fabric would be a benefit.  

Off I go adventuring.  I am buoyed by yesterday's success but will proceed with care.  Wish me luck.   

No comments: