Tuesday 19 December 2023

Lots to do

For all that it was a quiet knitting day, there were a lot of things to do.  First up, I had to weave in the rest of the ends on Janes blanket.  


It took almost no time at all.  This yarn is so easy to hide all the ends.

Then, it was time to get the blankets rolled up and into bags for giving.


Not too much fancy from me.  The bags are simply the best option and with a tiny bit of ribbon to holiday it up, it will do quite nicely.

The rest of the day was full of laundry and household chores but in the late afternoon, I had a bit of time to knit.  I pulled out all my socks and assessed the state of the various ongoing socks.  

I didn't want to do colour work and the two plain socks are barely begun.  Then I got to this sock.  I still love the pattern  but not for this yarn.  I just didn't feel any love for the combination at all.  With another yarn and at another time.



Ripped.


I pulled a few sock books off the shelf and took a look through them.  One caught my eye. 

This is Scottish Kilt Hose from Folk Socks by Nancy Bush.  


I'm not really interested in the fold over cuff but I love that little detail on the leg.  I have seen more than a few sweaters this winter with that kind of detail, a little column of alternating yarn overs running down them, or a columnar faggoting stitch.  It's one of those hidden gems of knitting: quick to knit, looks lovely, still rather mindless and is easy to read in your ongoing work. 

So that is what I decided to do.


And once again, Folk Socks surprises me.  This is where I found the best description of adding reinforcement on the inside of a sock.  


Folk Socks is one of those books that has been around forever.  It still is available and is well worth having on your bookshelf.  There is so much in it besides patterns.

As for me I am off to the kitchen today.  Cookie baking commences.

No comments: