Friday 15 December 2023

Garments that I love.

This mornings bright and early did not happen so bright and early.  I did not get out of my room till 10 a.m.  I had a long period of wakefulness last night and compensated for it by sleeping in.  It was great but I feel behind.  It just past noon and I am only on my second cup of coffee and I ought to be having breakfast but instead I shall have lunch.

I started my second to last stripe on my socks this morning having knit the yellow stripe yesterday.  


As I write this, the red stripe is complete on sock one and I am about to start on sock two.  I am thinking about the cuffs and how I want to do them.  They could be plain white like the toes and heels or they could have a row or two of each of the colours in them too.  I haven't quite decided yet, but it is fun to think about.

I am well on my way on the blanket too, so it was a pretty good knitting day yesterday.

I put on one of my lighter weight sweaters this morning, 


I will show you the unfinished photo because it really shows the shape of this sweater.  It is made in a DK weight wool and cotton and is one of the nicest things to wear.  I usually find it not quite warm enough for deep winter, but this year I am finding it is reached for often.  

It is almost perfect for today but my upper back still feels a bit of a chill, so I grabbed a shawl to put on.  When I was working at the yarn store, I wore shawls a lot.  Some of them stayed sitting on my shoulders no matter what I was doing, and that was exactly what I needed for today.  Something that would stay put but keep me just that little bit warmer is what I needed.


I even am colour coordinating today.  If that is not success, I don't know what is. 😁  

It is the Simple yet Effective Shawl by Laura Chow  and is one of my favourite things I have ever knit.  I knit it in two skeins of Noro Kureyon Sock.  The pattern was published in 2008 and is still being knit today.  It is one of those really nice relaxing knits that is always showing you something interesting about yarns and colour. It isn't particularly well executed.  That back spine is rather wobbly.  I had only been really been knitting a couple years at that point and missed that the markers sometimes slipped under the yarn overs.  Whenever I wore it to work, someone commented on it and in its time, it managed to sell more than a few skeins of Noro sock yarns. It reminds me of all the good friends I made working there and of one of the loveliest jobs I ever had. 

Past noon though it is, it is time to make my breakfast/ lunch.  I think an omelet with some whole grain bread toast is in order.  Or maybe some salmon with with crackers and pickles.  I'm hungry and that is all know for sure.

May Monday find that the blanket is complete.  I am going to give it my all.   

No comments: