Saturday 20 May 2023

It could have been a Stinker of a Day.

If I am going to be completely honest with the world, I am feeling a little bit down in a way that I haven't felt since I started taking medication for anxiety and mild depression.  It is the days of smoke.  A human's natural instinct to the smell of heavy smoke coming from an undetermined source is to run, only there is no where to run.  It was pretty bad yesterday with smoke getting heavier as the day went on.  Once I understood that it was all connected to the smoke from fires far, far away, I could start to deal with it.

I got busy.  I decided to sit down and sew together the York Pinafore that I cut out before my company came to visit.   


It went very well and my little pattern hack worked really nicely.  I will make the hacked centre back pleat wider on the next one, but it worked.

 So it is finished for now.  The next thing to do is the bias tape to finish the neck and sleeve openings but first I have to make the bias tape.  I wasn't sure what fabric I was going to use for bias tape but as I was cutting out the pinafore, it came to me.


I bought this fabric earlier this season to make a summery light top and it matches perfectly with the fabric I am using for the pinafore.  (See the first photo on this post.  Note that the colours are stronger and clearer in real life).  

I want to make an Ashton Top, another pattern from Helen's Closet, using the tops sleeve expansion pack.


I am going to make version one, but since the top doesn't have a collar, I am going to have to hack one.  I can do it.  YES I can. And if Not, the simple original neckline will do. With the leftovers from this bright, cute plaid, I am going to make the bias tape for the pinafore. It's a lot more work than making a shaped facing, but it is well worth it.

In the evening I sat down and finally finished the quilting on the quilt for the mini house.  I really like the way it is coming along.


The whole process took much longer than I thought it would, but the results are good. The scale feels right for the room.  I have no need to rush with little things.  I have been thinking about doing them for decades. There is still the edge binding to do, but I don't expect that to take very long.  

It may have taken some work but I am glad I made the effort to turn a stinker of a day into a good one.  

No comments: