Saturday 20 May 2023

Keeping Busy

The grey smoke continues.  When the sun shines, it looks very very orange.  Please pray for rain.  

When last we saw my mini quilt, it looked like this.  When I got up this morning, it was the first thing I picked up to work on.


I finished up the edges before my first coffee was done.


I am really pleased with it.  

Next up was to work on the trim for the sheets and the pillow cases.  I planned to do a wee crochet edging and quickly proved to myself that sewing it on was going to be easier. It took a good hour to figure out that the top lace in the photo was going to be much for the scale of the work.  I would have needed to purchase some very fine thread and I really wanted to do this without having to buy anything more.


After an hour I had a length of foundation chains and row one complete for one pillow case.  This is when I decided that when I work up the crocheted blanket for this room, I am going to be using two plys of the crochet thread.


Crocheting very fine thread reminded me of very long ago when I was learning to crochet and decided that I was never going to work in size 30 crochet cotton again.  One painful doily was enough.  Only size 20 or thicker for me. Scale wise, doing a very simple row of chain three loops and a single crochet over two stitches was right.


I might do two rows on the sheets but for the pillow case, just one row of tiny loops looked just right.  I pinned out the loops and starched them before I sewed the trim to the pillow case and oddly, the trim yellowed a bit.


It will have to be okay because I am not going to do it again.  There is plenty more of the edging yet to do.


First thing tomorrow, I am going to work on it again.  I can't wait to see it all put together and the bed back in the wee bedroom.

As I was looking for a few things I came across an artifact in my sewing things.  


Floss bobbins from Woolco, precursor to Walmart costing 77 cents.  These bobbins are well over twenty five years old. Definitely vintage.  They do not cost that now.  I had to laugh.  I opened the package and tucked them in with the other empty bobbins in my floss cases and as I did so, the very dried up rubber band cracked and fell out in dry little pieces. 

And then, at the end of the day, I sat and knit and just had a lovely evening.   



No comments: