Thursday 18 May 2023

A little weird for your day

My day is well under way, turning my guest room back into my sewing room after my guests have been.  Because I am thinking of sewing today and getting back to it after a three week break, I was reminded of something I did yesterday.  

Yesterday, I got up and got dressed.  I know.  This is something nearly every person does in the morning.  It isn't significant at all.  Usually a post about clothing is about the sewing of it but yesterday morning I wore a particular pair of pants.  

To give you a fair picture the significance of this pair of pants, my youngest son was two years old when we moved from the farm.  He is almost forty now.  

I bought this pair of pants not too long before we found out we were moving to Alberta from the farm.  Yes.  I have had these pants for about 38 years. They were stretchy and just seemed to keep stretching as I changed sizes.  They were never the sort of thing that I wore out of the house, so they were just for home.  They were one of the very very few old pieces of clothing in my wardrobe. 

They may have been see through when I wore them.  No one ever said, but generally I wore them with a longer t shirt or the last ten years, with a longer sweater. It wasn't something I worried about till very recently.  And even then, the lack of fibre remaining in the fabric wasn't the reason they were turfed.

They were turfed because they were slippery.  It seemed like every time I wore them, comfortable as they were, it felt as if I was slipping off the sofa or chair that I was sitting in.  They were comfortable standing in, but if you slide off your chair when you sit, that is a problem.  

So finally, yesterday, after 38 good years of service, I turfed a pair of pants.  No, they were not recyclable and they were not in any condition to pass on.  They were in that particular place my clothing seems to get to where in they are not really good enough to paint my house in but I was still wearing them anyways. 

Does this mean I get to sew another pair of pants?  Ha!

I was going to do that anyway.  I want to sew some Birchgrove Pants from Muna and Broad.  I love the Glebe pants I have sewn and I love the pencil pants I have made but I like the little bit dressier cut of the leg on Birchgrove.  

Sewing things that fit is almost as much fun as knitting.  Almost.  I will get ready for sewing this morning but I can knit all afternoon.

No comments: