Wednesday 15 February 2023

Who knew?

I've had an adventurous couple of days.  I was doing a really big stash dive and closet cleanup as I am wont to do and, well, it didn't all go according to plan.

I started by cleaning out the display cabinet. 


It is emptied and needs to be filled


with this.  There is more down on the floor in front of the spinning wheels.  Almost done.  

I suspect that I would be done but for the thing that happened yesterday.  No one was hurt.  It was a wee bit funny.

I was down to the last stack of containers.  I don't know why, but the stack did not want to move from its nicely fitting corner in the closet.  It was six boxes high and it just did not want to cooperate.  I kept pulling when all of a sudden it moved.  It rocked and before I knew it there were boxes falling with a great loud crash.  The first thing I thought of was campfire talk when Brian used to tease me about how one day the yarn would come jumping out of my closet to get me.  

It had.  Mostly I worried about having made too much noise.  Keith was home and was working in his office and my room is just above that.  He heard it but wasn't on a call when it happened.  He heard me moving around so he decided not to worry.  

I slowly picked up the yarns that had fallen and this was the only damage.  


Just one ruined box.



It wasn't too bad of a loss.  The box had some lace weight cones of yarn and 3 bags of red cotton.  I managed to get all of the lace weight into the box with the rest of the cones and then I took a break for the day.

This morning I finished going through that stack of boxes and as I did that, I also managed to put away and sort out some of the yarns that were floating about the room with no purpose.  I put together all of project leftover yarns where there was enough yarn to make hats, or mittens or cowls or other significant things.   I sorted out yarns and where I could, put leftovers with other yarns of the same colour and type of yarn.  I generally tided that miscellaneous class of stuff that cluttered my floor.  

And when that was done, all that was left to find a home for was the red cotton.  


The problem with the red cotton is that it was on beefy looking cardboard spools and they took up a lot of space in the boxes.  There is some more denim yarn that is taking up a lot of space in another box of summer yarns and I am pretty sure that if I wind it all off those spools, they will all fit nicely in the same container.  There are 9 bags all told.  It's going to take a while and I don't want to do too much at a time, lest I hurt my hand again.  That would be awful when I am so close to healed.

The other thing I found deep in a box, was this partially knit sweater that needed frogging.  



It's a really nice yarn, 1824 Cotton and dates back to my earliest knitting.  I can tell how long ago it was by the things I did as I was working it up.  I had no understanding of how to read a pattern and I had no idea of how to adapt to fit me.  It was such a mess, that it really was not worth keeping.  

There was no sewing at all today.  No fabric cutting, but that is okay.  The stash dive is almost complete and it feels nice to have that huge job done for a while. 

Even if the yarn did jump out of the closet.  Who knew?

No comments: