Thursday 16 February 2023

Lots of time to think.

It was another interesting day.  I started this morning working on finishing up a dishcloth.  As you can see a minor miscount on how much yarn I needed defeated the whole point of continuous strand weaving.  


It just means there are more ends to weave in the cloth might not last quite as long.  


It turned out well enough and will shrink up enough and no one will ever notice that there was a slight problem with the weave.  If this was a commercial product it would be ranked as a second.  Still usable but with some flaws.

I didn't want to start anything big because I had some appointments today, so while I was waiting, I dealt with a problem that came up when I was weaving the dishcloth.  When I weave on the larger pin loom, the pins are forever catching in my sweaters.  I am starting to worry about snagging the fronts and damaging my hard won sweaters.  It came to me that a good sturdy apron might be just the ticket.  That took me to looking for apron patterns that were free, and from there, I started looking seriously at patterns that were not free and that took me to this pairing from Helen's Closet.  


I have loved this pattern for a long time, but I could never talk myself into sewing it.  I didn't think it would work well for me. I worried that the deep arm openings would hang and display my hips unflatteringly, to say nothing of displaying my bottom every time I bent over with its shorter than my preferred length, but wearing dresses a lot and after drooling over the many, many lovely versions on the internet, I have decided that it will work for me. Plus I have the nice short leggings that I sewed last fall.  They are great with dresses. 

The York Pinafore has the plus of having an apron expansion.  I like the cross over back.  I can easily live without the strings of a normal bib apron.  An apron will help keep my sweaters cleaner longer and that is a great thing.  Avoiding stains is a regular issue for me too so there is just no way this is going to be a bad thing.  

I know just the fabric I will use too.  Its an interesting many shades of green cotton poplin print.  I bought it for the incredible price and meant to use it for a dress.  Sadly the fabric was heavier than I thought it would be and much too busy for pants or a skirt.  However, it is going to be just right for an apron.  Or two.  And sturdy enough for getting into all kinds of trouble.   

I know exactly what fabric I will use for the first run of the pinafore too.  And I have some truly stunning green fabric for a second and a top to match.  I may yet become coordinated in my dress.

So, all told, it was a busy stimulating day only without knitting.  Gosh I miss knitting.  Even more so now that the big dig is done for a while. Which reminds me there is a soft yellow linen and cotton yarn that would look really great with the green...

No comments: