Sunday 11 December 2022

It's the Little Things.

And then, just like that, the body of the sweater was done.  


I am delighted with how it looks and am looking forward to knitting sleeves and neck and button bands and then blocking it.  It is the prettiest thing I have ever made.  So far.

I am considering knitting the sleeves using only the Adam and Eve, the non mohair yarn.  I have a feeling that sleeves might get pushed up by the wearer and I am pretty sure that the simpler yarn will stay up better.  Though the mohair is lovely, I am not quite so sure about it's long term performance either.  It is so airy and delicate and sleeves do get more wear than the body of a garment.  I want to think it over a wee bit but time is not on my side.  I have to make a choice asap. 

In the meantime, I pulled out another little thing that was asked for by my boys.  When they were here in summer, they requested some fingerless mittens.  At the time, one hand had to be blue and the other red, so...


I am using the basic mitten pattern from Ann Budd's A Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. I am making the ladies small with a twist.  The mitt cuff looked great and then I knit in stockinette to the point where I was just past the thumb gusset and about to start going up the hand.  The stockinette part looked too wide for a boys hand, and though these boys are growing rapidly, I just wasn't happy with it. 

I know that the ones I really enjoy wearing to bed are a little ribbed pair.  The ribbing makes it fit around my hand so comfortably and closely.  A close fit will work better for the boys, so I pulled it all back and voila, ribbed all the way up and I am back to where I was before I pulled it out.  The boys wanted fingers on the gloves, and that means things will get a bit fussier, but for now, it was a wonderfully easy speedy little knit.  

It was so speedy that I caught myself thinking maybe I could make a set for Isaac too.  And I might.  It will depend how the fingers go and how the sleeves of the sweater go.  However, if I make something for Isaac, then I must make something for Cassie and what about Emmett and Owen and so on.  

Before I bite off a bigger chunk of the pie, I am going to finish these two projects, the sweater and mitts for Carter and Marcus.  Then and only then will I think about a few more little things.

No comments: