Monday 11 July 2022

Is Balance really that good an idea.

I came here this morning feeling less than successful.  I haven't spun since Friday.  I have no idea why.  I just did not, but I had a lovely visit with the International Virtual Knit Night ladies.  I had a great chat about F1 with the other F1 fan before any one else showed up.  I find I cannot spin and chat with a group on the computer.  My set up is just too awkward for the double treadle so I knit instead.  

I got in some pretty decent mileage on the F1 blanket though.  No photos though.  It still looks like it did last time, but I can tell you, it is getting big enough that it is at the awkward stage where it is too big to hold proerly on my lap and the table top and not really big enough to tuck beside me to keep still.  Good mileage, but it will be a while till the blanket is done.

I knit on the blue Elton sweater.  I have about three inches below the underarm now.  Pictures next time out.  It is a great knit but it really does take a lot more time than the green version.  I have a bit of a deadline on it though.  I want Luda to have it and want it ready by the end of summer. Still it will take a while till it is done.

I have the green one on the go and I really can't wait till that is complete.  I just love how it is turning out.  But it needs more work to completion.

I have the very striking and lovely Starting Point Shawl.  I would love to work on it but the sweaters demand my time more.  There is a Bridgewater from the before times that I really want to finish but it too is not urgent like the sweaters are.  

I have all these beautiful things, where they are so far from completion.  Is it possible that I need a bit more of the instant gratification of small things?  Perhaps.  Maybe I should be digging into the bin of leftover yarn and knitting kids mittens just so I get the feeling that I am finishing things even though that just spreads out the time that all the other knitting will take to be finished.  

It is actually this.  Balance across a broad spectrum of crafting things seems to lead to things being completed more slowly Which leads me to question my pursuit of balance as a goal.  Maybe hyper focus is the ideal state?  I need to stop having goals and just do.

This morning I am going to be washing fabric.  I do that whenever new fabric comes in to the house or in this case, when you find fabric you ought to have washed when it came in the house. I like to have it all prepped and ready so when I sit down to cut and sew, I can just go.  I slipped on on that on a couple pieces and didn't realize that they had not been washed till after the cutting was done.  Two tops were lost this way.  Sigh. I am going through a bunch of things that I hope to get to sew in August and September for fall and winter wear, just to be sure they have been washed and readied properly.  

This afternoon I have an adventure with Spanokopita planned. Looking forward to something just a bit different and tasty too.  In between I have the fixing of the S 51 to do. I am going to lengthen the drive band by stealing some inches from the spare Victoria band I keep on hand and I am changing out the incredibly stiff brake set up for the easier to manage soft leather like my old babe wheel had.

And in between I will knit on socks in case I need a little instant gratification that comes with finishing a thing.

No comments: