Friday 8 July 2022

Balanced

Thursday was a much better day.  Things went well even if I did not accomplish much.  I rested, I took it easy but for some household chores that were backing up and I made a real supper.   If I still have gumption to cook a meal at the end of a day, it means it was a good day. 

Today I had a bit of a sleep in which meant that the race qualifying started just as my coffee was made.  I never got to blogging, and till the qualifying was done, it was time to start spinning.  And I did.


It doesn't look like much, but I have never had a bobbin so full as this after so few days and I have never had this much of a bag completed this fast either.  I will do one more days worth of work and then will transfer it to another bobbin to have it ready for plying when a second bobbin is full.  Or till the bag of fibre is all gone.

I did some more of the long neglected household chores, (further evidence of feeling much better than I have in a bit) and then I thought about things in my sweater chest that I am not really happy with.  

Two things.  I am not really happy with the very close neck of my version of Threipmuir and I really really hate the sleeves on my variation of a Gregale.  

I have always liked the sweater.  I wear it fairly regularly, mostly because it is a machine wash and dry sort of yarn.  There are times when you will tolerate anything just for that.  The sleeves have always been tight and over time, they have made wearing it less than a complete pleasure. I got a wee bit too agressive with decreasing when I was making it.  It's fine if you are just sitting there but reaching for anything and it binds in the worst way at the cuff.  

I decided that it was time to sort that out and make a good sweater a great sweater.



I can't take the sleeves right off and make it sleeveless.  It was knit top down using the contiguous method of construction.  You knit the sleeves as you go when you knit the top that way but I can make them short and sweet and turn this mid season sweater into a pure and true summer top.



And there you have it.  A nice short sleeve top.  From wearing it this afternoon, I can already tell that it is going to get even more wear now than it did before.  

It reminds me too that there is  dark burgundy purple in the stash somewhere too.  I could really use another knit top that was so easy to care for.  And it reminds me that I have some grey to knit a sweater for Keith, who does so much for me.    

It is late now, almost Saturday by the clock but I am waiting for my sheets to dry before my day is done.
They ought to have gone in the dryer after supper but oh well.  Some success, some not so much success.  That is a kind of balanced life too.

No comments: