Tuesday 14 June 2022

Pie!

I did nothing but knit yesterday.  Well, that is what I did till my hands gave out.  It has been a long time since I knit till my hands gave out.  Many, many weeks ago.

And then I made pie.  I have been trying to get to pie for more than a week.  As my very old casserole dishes have cracked and bit the dust  in various ways, I was suddenly in need of some open medium sized baking dishes.  And then I saw this pair of deep dish ceramic pie dishes in a deep warm rich yellow.  I always wanted to have a proper deep dish pie pan and they will be perfect for open roasting small roasts and chicken breasts  and the like.  And the big deep pie pan will be great for shepherd's pie and a cornbread topped casserole I make from leftover taco makings.  And pie.  Deep lovely mounds of apple or rhubarb or cherry.  

Today's pie was yams.  It's one of my favorite pies and is easy to make custom.  It's also a good pie when you have no idea how much filling or crust you need for new pie pans. My recipe for pumpkin pie is large and since I knew how much filling it made in my big bowl, it was a great match for testing. I ended up with three pans thes two and a wee individual size pan.


The crusts were perfect because they were so flaky.  If I recall right, the recipe I used was probably my crust that I used back in the day when the boys ate anything that wasn't  nailed down and I took pride in my ability to make flaky crusts.  The dough was a wee bit soft so edges kept breaking as I put them into the pan but a few flaws are fine with me.  It tastes great and that is what I hoped for.

It's looking like a good day for potato soup.  It is also a good day for socks and winter sweaters.  It's cold and rainy and beastly windy so it is also a good day for knitting all day.  That isn't what I am going to do though.  I am going to finish the yellow shirt today and have a knitting thing this afternoon.  Time to be getting along.

No comments: