Tuesday 24 May 2022

I Shall Knit

That was a rather marvelous weekend.  The weather was steady and generally warm and bright.  I kept the two new screen doors open most of the afternoons and listened to the neighbourhood kids play and run and fight.  Keith planted the garden and his new trees for the year.  

And I just knit.  Best kind of weekend ever.

I enjoy all the sewing but I cannot wait till I have all the tings I need complete and can get back to mostly knitting.  I can see myself sewing occasionally or seasonally for a few new things, but right now the sheer number of things I needed have made it an epic quest and like all epic quests, there is a point where you just want normal.  I am there.  Having a weekend like this, where i just unabashedly knit to my hearts content, was just great.

The Agate Cove sweater was finished in the blink of an eye and I went through the Wips to see what I would work on next.  Only none of them captured me.  I did knit on the blanket during the race events but that left a lot of knitting time where I wanted to find some joy.  

And I did.  I was thinking about the Tempest sweater and my long, long planned knit of one for myself.  It's a Knitty pattern from way back in 2008 but I still love it.  Long ago, I started assembling yarn for it, first with the deep cedar green BFL 2/8 from Fleece Artist.  I cannot tell you how many times I cruised the internet looking for a colour to use with it for the coordinating stripes.  I would play games at an online vendor called Colorsong, now reborn as Twitchy Hands and make my sweater up in different colours.  Over the years, I spent a lot of time, a lot, doing this and eventually, I bought a variegated to go with the cedar that I had already.  I ended up using the multi for a gift and so the search began again.  A few years ago, I found another multi colour that worked and it waited for me to knit it.   



The cedar here is very washed out and grim looking but up close, it is wonderful.  It looks like a forest floor for greens on my needles.  

I started knitting a variation of the Tempest sweater, but as I worked, it came to me, that I really did not like the shaping of the pattern.  The ultra close fit just is not me.  But I knew exactly what pattern I could use to get the best out of this yarn combination and get the best fit for me:  Elton by Joji Locatelli .  Joji's designs always seem to work for me.  Her way of doing neck and shoulder slope just fits and the dropped shoulder  sleeve fits perfectly plus, there is something about her designs that make them ideal if you need to adapt for hips from another land like me.   And the four row stripes will make the whole thing feel like a speedy knit.


It's womderful.  Sigh.  Really great.  The back yoke is two inches from being done .  

There is a small pile of other yarns that are beside me, and have to go back to the yarn closet.  |They were in the running for things I want to knit right now.  That is the whole problem with my stash.  It all wants to be knit right now as much as I want to knit it.

So yes.  The sewing is good. Sewing will be today and I will apprciate the wearing of sewn goods, but the very best thing of all is that when the sewing is done, I shall knit.  I shall just knit.    

No comments: