Tuesday 31 May 2022

Failures and making it right.

Instead of having a nap yesterday, I decided to bake.  Shoulda had the nap.  Utter failure on my baking for the week. Complete and utter disaster and I didn't even burn it.  How can a thing be too sweet and not sweet enough at the very same time?  Seriously awful and no way to make that right at all.

The only thing that worked 100% yesterday was my supper.  The potatoes were really quite heavenly, perfectly cooked outside and the inside when you bit each piece, it just melted in your mouth.  I am pretty sure this had a bit to do with my cooking but was mostly because I started with a potato that was suited to how I cooked it.  

Muna and Broad just released a bike short pattern and I bought it.  Yesterday was my first go at making some.  I went through the fabrics I had and felt pretty sincerely that the fabric I used had the stretch required.  But no.  No it did not.  I should have checked in a different way and more thoroughly. I have found some of the right stuff online but here is the problem.

I have a lot of fabric on hand.  All of what I have will work for pants, from wide legs to my weird looking but wonderfully fitting pencil pants.  The vast majority has good stretch and washes and wears like a dream. It will work for this pattern with only one modification to the pattern.  So not really a big deal.  Bottom line, do I go with what I have or do I purchase what this pattern requires?

I have thought about it, and I am going to think about buying more fabric after I make a few adapted pairs.  I will buy more fabric when the stuff I have on hand has been used.  I will watch for that fabric to go on sale too.  That is always a great way to broaden your fabric scope at little cost.  I have a feeling that this fabric doesn't go on a great sale very often.    

It was fun buying fabric but it has been a lot of fun watching that flat piece of fabric turn into something to wear, and it is even more fun watching the bins holding the fabric get emptier and emptier.  I am going to stick with that fun in my sewing room for now.  Adapting the pattern begins today.

Having a nap today.  Big one.  Naps are kind of fun too.

No comments: