Monday 30 May 2022

A Tale of Two Eltons

I love Joji Locatelli designs.  I really do.  There is just something about that that always seems to work for me.  Her Lipstick sweater is still one of the nicest sweaters I have.  

I loved Elton the minute it came out.  I wanted to make one badly and couldn't decided what yarns.  I couldn't figure it from my stash and eventually, when I decoded to treat myself to some really nice yarn, I thought Elton would be perfect for it.  So I started knitting it in April of 2020.  I only have two WIPs older than that and one of them will be a decade old this November.  I consider that a pretty good finishing rate in the grand scheme of things.  

But this Elton, lovely thing that it is, is still on the upper back, so still on part one. 


And it isn't that I do not love the yarns.  I do.  River City Yarns Adam and Eve in their River colourway and an absolutely gorgeous custom coloured mohair from Fleece Artist to match.  It is stunning stuff and I adore it.  It deserves to be knit on a lot more.


So, when the urge to start something new came over me the other day, when the need to knit lovely BFL 2/8 from Fleece Artist came over me, and when I decided to go with the Elton pattern rather than reconstructing the Tempest design for myself, it wasn't that this lovely River Elton didn't deserve it, it is much more that both yarns deserve a gorgeous design like the Elton Sweater.


The fact that the back yoke is done and that one front yoke is now also done only means that mohair, much as I have come to love what it can do for a garment, is harder to knit than BFL 2/8.

My current plan is to knit the Blue for Ludmila and the green tones for me.  And I think I would like to have them done fairly close together.  

So, I think, that even though I wasn't planning it, I am going to participate in the Stash Dash the Knit Girllls people do, this year.  And my goal is simply going to be to get these two Eltons done by summers end.

No comments: