Monday 2 May 2022

Balanced?

When I can't sleep at night, when I can't go to sleep for thoughts that will not stop, I watch movies and shows like my old friends Poirot and Miss Marple(noted as Miss because it is proper), there are certain kinds of movies like Ethel and Earnest, a sweet graphic novel of the life of a British couple brought to life by their illustrator son, that are perfect for quietly ending a day.  This is a terrible habit to get into, I know that, but it helped keep me sane.  For the most part, the habit has been supplanted by reading in bed but on the days when my brain won't stop, I still find myself running back to it.  

Tonight I watched 84 Charing Cross Road. I love this movie. I love her search for things to read for inspiration, for learning, for the sheer joy of words being put together.  I love the way she handles books.  She turns them over and gently runs her fingers down the spine.  There is such reverence in her touch. 

The movie is so beautifully made.  Each time I watch this movie, I find some small things that pleases me ever more in the way it is made.  I bought a copy of the book a while ago, and the book itself is a wonder in exactly the same way.  

My mind doesn't want to slow still.  It was one of those days, but in a good way. 

I finally sat down and sewed up a shirt.  By 8:30 I had the dreaded burrito roll procedure done successfully, dreaded procedure only because it is like grafting something.  It takes a while till you can do it with assurance and confidence.  I am still in the need to watch video stage and wait for the aha moment each time I do it stage.  I took a break and knit with the ladies till brunch was ready. I had a nap and still had lots of time to do the collar and front interfacings and sleeve trims.  The shirt is complete but for a try on and buttons and buttonholes.  The button holes will wait as will buttons till shirt two of this pair is sewn on Monday.  Even without these details, I can tell the shirt is a complete success.

I read a while.  Lord Peter Wimsey  ardently trying to save Harriet Vane from imminent danger in Strong Poison.

Pictures later.  The middle of the night is not for photos.

It was such a marvelously balanced sort of day.  I caught myself wondering if in my personal struggle to find a more balanced life, I have been ignoring the days which do have balance and where I am not buried in a storm of hyper focus. Maybe I have more of these days than I think.  Maybe I just need to focus on them a bit more.  

These are the meanderings of the middle of the night and should be paid attention to in about the same way you do with ordinary dreams.  I might go and read to see just how far along Lord Peter has come in his quest to save Miss Vane.  Last I read, he was just consulting with his brother in law on what to do and how long they had to do it.      


No comments: