Tuesday 3 May 2022

Adventure is out there

There is a thing called MeMadeMay, in which all the sewers and knitters are out there showing off their makes and rejoicing that they can.  It's a great idea.  I think of doing it but I don't really need the pressure. I will appreciate their efforts, enjoy their work and will just toodle on quietly  here in my little corner of the world.




I finished two blouses.  Substantial finished at least.  They need to be hemmed and buttons and buttonholes are still needed.  They are things of beauty even noe before they are wearable.  I can see it as they hang.  I might take them to finished today because the general plan of attack is to copy a pattern off of a top I made when I went on my epic adventure across Canada and make some more of those.  




It's not a difficult top, just a tank style top, scooped neck wide shoulder thing but I got the longer back hem exactly right and I got the drape of it just so.  It remains one of the nicest things I have ever made.  If you looked at the Canadian store for large women, it is the most basic shape for tunics and t shirts and tops in nicely draping fabrics (I'm looking at you rayon).  

I am going to be daring and play around with it and see if I can come up with a sleeve for it.  I have several ideas about how to sort out a sleeve.  One of them involves stealing the sleeve and armscye from the Tarawi Shirt  from Muna and Broad and morphing it to fit the scoop neck tank.  Honestly at this point in my sewing life, its really just something I want to look at and finally understand how they get that thing to go in that hole. If I can understand a thing, maybe I can recreate it?  

I am going to cut out one top today too.  That is just back up in case my ego gets a bit bruised in the general plan of the day.  I am going to cut out my very first, non experimental Torrens Box Top that will be a top and nothing else.  I know.  I have made so many of these and talked about it for so long but the truth of the matter is that I made one as a muslin and then went into dress production.  I have one dress that I further hacked into a blouse rather than a dress.  The dresses are all a variation on a Torrens Hack.  So I have sewed it a bunch of times now and yet not at all.

Adventures abound.  

No comments: