Friday 29 April 2022

Meant to be

The world did not want me to sew yesterday.  I did sew a bit in the morning.  I had a pair of black pants waiting for an elastic at the waist.  I did that and then tried to hem the pants, but found I could not see.  

I have my sewing set up in front of the window.  I always dreamed of sewing with daylight streaming in as I worked.  It is really great too, though I have to say, this window faces south east and at this time of year, the sun coming in is pretty strong and bright.  And blinding as I found yesterday morning.  Or so it was on black pants with black thread on a black desk.  

I thought I would wait an hour or so till the sun had moved around to the back of the house and went off and did some other very mundane stuff.  And then I realized it was close enough to lunchtime so I had an early lunch.  I picked up my embroidery work to assess for what  needed doing and did a few rounds of that while I watched an episode of Father Brown.  

Then I went back to the sewing room.  I decided which shirt I was going to work on first and pulled out all the parts that needed interfacing and other prep work before garment sewing could really commence.  

The interfacing I had for this shirt of cotton linen was an iron on kind.  I generally don't use iron on facings.  It always makes my iron dirty and I find that over the lifetime of the garment, they just don't perform as well as I prefer.  I like a nice woven interfacing (with luck that is what I have on order).  But for this shirt, well, I got down to it.  I had everything in place, pinned and ready to adhere to the fabric pieces.  I  plugged my iron in and ...

blew the breaker.  We don't really know why the breaker blew.  Possibly a bit of a surge of some sort.  Possibly a wobble of the power bar I use to extend the reach of my iron.  Possibly a connection on the power bar itself.  All seems fine.  It was something I have done several times over since I set my sewing space in there.  The really bad part is that I could not find the breaker.  It's the whole seeing the screw problem  as well as being too short to reach some of them rearing its head again.  None of this is a real deal breaker in the grand scheme of things except that also on that breaker is all the internet stuff.  Keith eventually came home and checked the things, the connections I couldn't and restored the internet.

Meanwhile, I set to work on my embroidery again.  The world was telling me it was not my day to sew and it really wasn't like I don't have literally dozens of projects calling my name.  The embroidery was out, the light was good and sunny and it went very well.


the lava and lava bubble are done and I am really pleased with it.  I am going to layer some other colours on the flows of lava, the squiggle lines below the volcano, to make it more clear that that is what they are, and there is a wee bit of colour to be added between a flow, also to show how dangerous lava is (I can still hear Marcus telling me all about it in his four year old voice) and then the smoke and 
ash spewing from the top of the volcano.  

I have been a bit concerned about the smoke.  Marcus made me draw it so I wasn't sure of I should add it here but I will put a few small puffs in.  It will give me a chance to try some feathery stitches.  atop his brightly coloured ash.  But it is very close to complete.  The wee Marcus figure and the tiny volcano at the top should wash out.  I hope.  Crossing fingers and toes.  

And then on to Carter's volcano.  It's more of a spewing lava volcano, and hot ash, from a brightly coloured mountainous cone.  I think he was five when he did it. But I can't wait for the pair of them done and ready to hang.

I will sew tomorrow.  And as quick as this shirt pattern works, I hope to get the two done in one sitting.  Wish me luck.  As much as I am having fun with sewing, it will be even nicer when they are all sitting in my drawer and I can just spend a whole day knitting. Or embroidering.

No comments: