Tuesday 26 April 2022

Oh well.

Yesterday was a pretty good day in the sewing room. I spent the day cutting out things and I think that went well.  I sewed exactly zero things but I did find out a few things that are really going to make a difference to what I do next.

First finding.  I have run out of my preferred interfacing.  I like using the woven kind in a light medium weight.  I have used it for years and it generally worked for everything.  I haven't done anything with knits that needed interfacing so all was good.  But, I have pretty much run out of that.  I can do a couple collars but no long front facings as you need for button up shirts.  I managed to squeak out interfacing from it for one of the two shirts I cut.  Once I realized what was going on with interfacing, I had to stop and take a look at my cutting plan for shirt two.

Originally, I wanted to cut easy casual shirts using the Waikere pattern  from two pieces of Madras cotton that I had.  It is the perfect summer cotton but it really needs the light weight interfacing.  So, the cutting plan had to change.  I have several pieces of nice striped linen cotton and linen rayon blends.  The rayon linens drape beautifully and also need a lighterweight interfacing but the cotton and linen?  Now that is a heavier fabric, still great for shirts and skirts and could work with the other interfacing I happened to have.  Beefier fabric, beefier interfacing.

Second finding.  I have had a pair of pants waiting for elastic for a few days now.  I sewed it just before I got sluggish there, just as I finished up all my dresses.  So after cutting was complete on shirt two, I thought to do that.  I had a good stash of elastic in and it would be done lickety split.  And then I looked at the elastic.  Sigh.  Nothing wrong with it.  It looks perfect but the stuff I was planning to use is much, much too light to hold up the pants.  It might work if I had two layers of it.  Maybe.   I am going to have to use a wider elastic.  It is okay but I am a little miffed that I did not notice it before. In the roll it looks much sturdier but coming off the roll, I could tell instantly.   I could have sent this light stuff back.  As is, I might be able to use some for the waistbands of underpants, and possibly for leg openings too.  I will try it on a pantie muslin, if you will.  If not I guess, I will have to find another use for it,  

I am going to be sewing today, I think.  I do have to be a wee bit quiet as Keith is working from home today but I think sewing shouldn't interfere.  

I do have one other way I could go.  I have some knit interfacing and I do have some fabrics in mind for the Nullabor pattern where the knit interfacing would work.  I could also do the bike shorts for under my dresses.  I am not quite mentally ready for those yet but there really isn't any reason I couldn't just go forward.  I could also put some patterns together.  I have another pants pattern with a much slimmer leg than the other pants I have, the Birchgrove pattern.  To my eye, they are cut a bit dressier and I have a really nice piece of of tencel twill waiting for them.  There are patterns for a couple dresses and another top too that await printing and putting together.  

So plenty of sewing related things to do, but for now, I think sewing.  Get these done.  Do the rest of the things later to fill in time, till the interfacing arrives.  Sigh.  Oh well.  

No comments: