Monday 25 April 2022

A Marly Middle

It was a pretty good weekend for race knitting.  The track, Imola was not quite so conducive to the fantastic, challenging all the time racing that was the previous races this year, but it was still very good and decent for knitting.

As you saw on Friday, this is where I was after the very first part of a race weekend.


And I am pleased as punch that I made it to here by the races end.  I love the marly middle of these.  It just happens and looks kind of inspiringly cool.  I still think about knitting one where the red is a deep rich garnet and the marl is an antique aged green.  


It's a healthy couple inches and I knit on this only during active F1 racing, practising and qualifying.  If I am ever so inclined, I could knit through the F2 series on the weekends where those series are running plus they sometimes have other series, such as a series with modified Porche's as they had this weekend. I have watched F2 and the silent electirc  E series, but  I am generally not so inclined.  However, I will be watching the women's series when it runs on an F1 weekend on principle alone.  I could knit many more hours but seriously, F1 is enough.

My other knitting this weeekend was to pull out my BreezewayTee.  I had four skeins of Fleece Artist sock yarn of one variety or other and I decided to let them do a gradient from the multi green blue down to the darkest green cedar.


My problem has always been that I am pretty sure I am short one skein to get to the right length for me.  That pale skein is a skein of seasilk which is the only other yarn in a greenish colour range I have in a Fleece Artist yarn.  And it is just too light.  I looked at placing it in a different part of the gradient, but that has its own problem with drape and flow because of the different fibre makeup.  Even purchasing is not an option.  The yarn they now have for socks has a very different texture.  The Sea Silk is just not a good option so I am going to have to find something better.  In my stash.  

I have a decent number of green yarns in various shades and tones of greens.  As I was knitting yesterday, pondering my problem, I thought of a laceweight yarn that may work.  I have two skeins of Knitpicks laceweight on a dark green, much darker than the cedar you see in the picture.  Or at least in my memory it is darker.  Stranding the two skiens together would give me an additional four hundred metres of yarn in a deeper darker green to follow the gradient and possibly even match the slightly rougher looking texture of the Fleece Artist sock yarns nicely. It's worth a shot.  I also thought of another yarn in case this doesn't work, but I had different plans for it.  


By the end of Sunday, I had this pretty little  shirt below the arm about three inches, and I am pretty satisfied with that too.

All in all a busy weekend, and now...now I am off to the cutting table and getting some sewing going this week.  It is officially shirt week.

No comments: