Thursday 21 April 2022

Knitting socks is such good thinking time.

One row left and the only quandry is that I will, once again have sock needles that are empty.  It never ends but that is a very very good thing.


Yesterday while looking for knitting for during my zoom with my knitting people, I pulled out my Jahrestzeiten Herst  to see if anything was tucked under it and it come to me in a flash of understanding that this is a messy project and I wasn't really keen on finishing it.  I knit through the afternoon on my socks and thought about it after our meetup and I came to understand something about this project.

It was a revelation.  I have loved this shawl for years and I am a wee bit hesitant to let the dream go.  I  loved the idea of this shawl but I am not loving everything about it.


I know lots of people who have knit shawls that start as this does, from the centre out, but it makes me batty.  All those needles ends and tight tight corners.  But I deeply love these colours and I want to use them together.


Who wouldn't?  This warm rich red to blackish red and the bright yellow and greens turning to rich warm rust.  It is such a brilliant combination.  It is pure joy.


I think a sweater.  I have three skeins of the reds and two of the yellow green rust.  By weight, I have about three thousand metres of yarn, or which ought to be plenty for a sweater.  It's about seven hundred and fifty grams of yarn which is about the usual number of grams for an average sweater.

I want this to be something very wearable and I do not want a round yoke at all.  I am a little bit over round yokes at the moment.  I am leaning a little bit towards a very simple raglan shape but a shape like Joji Locatelli's Granito or Lipstick, a causual comfortable shape but not the details of either of these designs, just the relaxed shape.

I am off to sewing for now though.  Time to finish the bind off and make a decision about this yarn later.  Knitting socks is such good thinking time.

PS if anyone wants to join our Wednesday Zoom, message me here or on Ravelry.  We meet at 1 p.m. Edmonton local time and would be happy to meet knitters from anywhere.

No comments: