Wednesday 20 April 2022

Exciting times.

I spent the afternoon with Luda and you know what.  Those talking translators are weird.  It just shows how language and the way we speak and how things are put into order can turn out so oddly in another language.

I have loved to read about languages and to learn about how they develop for years.  I found a really interesting little book about discusses how the alphabet came to be and how rooted the Cyrillic alphabet and our own Latin script alphabet or at least how they are shaped, share the similar sources.  That has been a regular reread from my deep library.  I have listed to several lectures on language families and language development just for fun, so I  know that each language is unique in the way things are ordered and constructed, where verbs are placed, and if things are gendered or not, but seriously, it is only when you are holding a conversation in two languages with only a digital translator, that you really understand the limitations of the digital thing currently.  It can get weird.  And funny.  Our visits are a hoot.  

Language issues aside, she is a lovely person and we laugh together about the things our shared grandchildren are doing. And she cooks.  She is such a good cook.  As is her daughter.  She worries that the kids are so picky and she enjoys having me eat in their stead.  Jewish grandmothers cannot hold a candle to Ukrainian grandmothers.  

Today will be the last day of desultory knitting.  I am determined to get back to sewing tomorrow.  I have cleaned out my drawers, and have sorted out my clothes hanging problem and have sorted out a few random thoughts in my head, like the drape of rayon with sleeves or just a tab sleeve.  That thinking has risen directly from wearing dresses in several kinds of fabric.  Each feels so different.

I am feeling very happy about getting back to sewing which is nice.  Exciting even.  


No comments: