Wednesday 9 February 2022

What a nice kind of day.

After a day of personal angst to start, I ended up having a lovely day and things just got better as the day wore on.  

I spent the bulk of the day stuck in my room, under my vast quantity of yarn.  I counted my containers.  There are now 29 of them.  I broke 30 and I didn't even notice it.  My emotional connection to my yarn remains strong and honestly, there is nothing in there that I wouldn't want to knit something with.  My stash is a thing of beauty.

And then, I caught Keith at just the right time and he popped into the post office for some mail.  That was thrilling.  

The rest of my bags arrived.  these are not quite the same quality as the totes were but I think they will do for shawls and small WIP storage.  These have a tie closure so keeping them secure from critters means tying the ties around the already close neck of the bag.  But it should work ok.  I may eventually get up the gumption to add zips to some of these but there is no rush.  With a zip, they will be large enough for finger gauge sweaters like my Myrtle and the vests in my sweater chest.  These bags will stay and will be switched out as the ziploc bags they are already in need replacing.  

And then a little thing I saw and decided to try just for the heck of it.  I know I can do these from free online sources, but this is kind of fun too.  



The artwork on the pages is so very pretty.  What was unexpected is that the book/box they arrived in could for the basis of a sweet little cardboard library.  Interesting.


I also ordered myself a new puzzle.  I haven't set both from last year yet but there is a reason.  The first puzzle I worked on was utterly stupid.  I don't mind hard, but this was butterflies on a background of a single colour.  Many pieces had only tiny slivers of a form or edges of a flower.  The butterflies and fruit and leaves were much farther apart than I thought they would be and I lost interest.  And yet, I need to do something in the times when my hands are done and my eyes are done and I am listening to a book wondering what the rest of the world is doing because it is only 6:30 and the only other thing I could do is go to bed. Puzzles is supposed to be an option that I can see close.  



I hope this one will be better. Of note is a decent sized box.  It's about the size of a square cake pan, using as little resources as possible.  And much easier to store.

And then this.  A very good spinning friend sent this to me and it is fascinating.  I read a few pages of it this morning with my coffee and I loved the stories it is telling.  It talked about blanket quilts that where commonly made by the Metis using two point blankets and a woven inner layer of rabbit fur strips.  Fascinating.




Thank you so very very much Christine.  I love it.

And then,  last thing in the evening, watching bits of the Olympic broadcasts, I cast on a little something new.  I know.  I must be nuts, but what the heck.  Why not.

It was a perfect end to a lovely day.

1 comment:

Christine said...

You are so welcome! The author is the very curator that I work with every Wednesday at the Royal Alberta Museum. I have seen and touched some of those quilts myself! Her Alberta Quilt Project was a wonder of documentation and discovery. She definitely knows the importance of hand made things and the stories they tell.