Tuesday 8 February 2022

Consequences: a political post.

I have nothing to say today that has to do with knitting.  There was knitting yesterday.  Period.

I am into the charts on the blue and white vest.  I am under the arms on the pesto sweater.  I am still thinking about working on the blue Regal sweater, and those other things under the lid of my footstool/storage ottoman/tabletop constantly.

And yet...

I am so deeply grumpy and disturbed by this convoy thing that is going on in Canada right now.  Deeply fundamentally disturbed and my whole mood is sour because of how useless it is. I wrote this on a facebook thing this morning, which I also acknowledge is a useless and childish thing. 

My biggest problem is that they set off with an unclear agenda. They did not seem to know who to protest to for an answer to the vaccine mandates (provincial) or that they could not cross international borders without being vaccinated (other countries) and that they always point to stuff that comes from outside of Canada as a reason for doing it. It's as if they do not understand what freedom is or that freedom, like everything else, has a price. As if their freedom matters more than the freedom of everyone else. If they really want freedom, look to elections. Show up when it matters. Become politically active in parties and programs. Write letters, join causes that help people and things. Join boards for hospitals, libraries, justice societies. Build homes for habitat for humanity, become an advocate for tiny home communities and basic incomes to get homeless people off the streets. Help your food banks raise funds. There are so many ways to actively become engaged to make this country a better place for all of us. Honking horns and stopping traffic has helped zero people and to whine about wearing masks just make them sound selfish and childish. I would also point out that if you really did not want the vaccine, no one forced you to do so. That there is a price for making that choice? Of course there is. What else did they expect?

That last thing, the part about the price for making their choice.  That is the part that since the start of all this complaining that has just made me grit my teeth.  Everything you do in life is a choice.  Everything you choose or avoid choosing or delay.  For each action you make every day of your life, there are consequences.  

If you choose to sleep, the consequence is that you most often feel rested when you wake.

If you eat, the consequence is that you will no longer be hungry.  

If you choose to knit, you will have warm things to wear.

Having unprotected sex with your partner during a fertile period?  Very often consequences.  I mean children, in case you have not figured that out. 

You choose not to be vaccinated?  There are consequences.  I have no problem with you but for crying out loud stop whining about how your freedom is being hampered when you have to face the consequences of  a choice you made freely and according to you, knowingly.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said, thank you for sharing what I am feeling.
Wendy, from Elmira, Ontario.