Friday 4 February 2022

There weren't enough WIPs

I did all the things I needed to do.  It was great. 

And then guess what I did?  I started a new sweater!  And not even the one I have been thinking about the last few days.


This is the start of a sweater I have been thinking of since 2008 or so, back in the day when I planned Brian's Lichen Waistcoat.  At the same time as I assembled yarn for his, I picked yarn for mine.  So this yarn has been in my stash for over ten years.  That idea alone makes me giddy.  I had a stash of yarn for over ten years.  Wow.  

I could knit Brian's without thinking because he was a more regularly shaped person.  I just had to make sure it fit his girth and I could just knit straight.  Easy Peasy.  Mine, not so much.  Mine needs to be a line and there is just no way to get past that.  

Once I felt skilled enough to make that happen, I lost confidence in the yarn colours.  They have zero contrast when you black and white the photo.  And so it sat.  I only had 4 balls of the blue or it would have been used up a long time ago for something else.  

I pulled out some needles to see what I could swatch it into during my knitting zoom the other day.  There as all kinds of contrast when I did broken seed stitch.  The more I looked, the more I liked it for exactly what it was, a sweet soft blue and crisp white.

Follow that up with putting books away and seeing Folk Vests sitting on the shelf and I just thought, hey, why not.  

And so here I am, with a seventh garment in my WIPs.  I am going to make this a learning experience and teach myself how to do colourwork with both yarns in my right hand.  My hope is to learn to even out any tension issues I have before I start playing with my Kauni.  



It is going okay, but it is possible that it is as much that I am doing a corrugated ribbing and I just love doing it, over that I am learning a new skill.  

This weekends knitting forecast is for an actual colouwork design to start showing up.  

No comments: