Sunday 19 September 2021

Heads and Hands

Every day it is a little easier making the change to my writing time.  Friday, I had things ready to go when I realized that I didn't have to write till Sunday evening.  So here it is, such as it is.  


On Friday I showed you the loveliness that is Olga's variation on a Huj Tub.   Today, I can show you the completed version of it's silky hazy beauty.  


End to end, it is 25 inches of glory.  Plenty of length the have it over your head to keep you warm and still have a good thick soft pile around the back of your neck.  The first Huj Tub, made for me, was a bit short because I ran out of the mohair silk I was using, but this one, I had lots.  I only need about 400 m of the multi coloured mohair silk and I have plenty remaining to do what I wanted with it in the first place.

I decided that next up would be Marcus' fingerless mittens.  There are very few designs with finger bits for Marcus size listed on Ravelry.  I wouldn't buy yet another pattern anyway, not for him.  He's just a kid.  Colour is his thing.   I am just using a basic glove pattern from Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns  and snipping the tips, if you will.  

I didn't have to go too far for yarn either.  As I was putting things into the new sewing room/guest room, I came across a box of yarn to be put away on the next Big Dig.  I used it for some bed socks around New Years.  


It is really the perfect yarn for these gloves.  It's a good sturdy wool.  It is easy care.  It is sturdy (personally torture tested.) Plus I had just the right number of colours, Five,  so I could make the finger and thumb each a different colour.


The only change I made to the basic glove was to make the cuff longer and to knit a few rows plain before starting the thumb gusset.  

I should have been finished glove one today but right about where I was supposed to start the fingerlets, I realized I had way too many stitches.  I was screwing up the gusset something fierce, so back to the base I went and started over from just a few rows after the cuff.  Still I am pleased with where I am on the project and can't wait to get these done so I can work on the much more elegant ones for Olga!  

Back to ordering the rooms tomorrow.  The sewing/guest room is almost done.  There are just tubs with my sewing fabrics in them, to go into the closet and the drawer unit to drive over to set by the sewing table.  It is looking good, far better than I hoped.  We shall see if this is a better way to use the space. 

Once some boxes cluttering the corners of the living room are put on to their new shef space, my giant task will be at an end and all my personal rooms will have been deep cleaned for fall and I will be ready to knit.  

Or I will be as soon as  kitchen is done.  Ewww.

No comments: