Wednesday 22 September 2021

Bits and Pieces.

Just as I sat down to write this, there was a low rumble and some strong wind and now some light rain falling.  It has been so long since there were any showers here.  Such a wonderful sound.

I had one of those days.  I meant to keep working hard to finish my reorganizing and cleaning  
 but I got waylaid by a really tasty cup of coffee.  And a bit of a nap.  I knew I was tired and didn't have a great sleep last night but sheesh. I did get some of the stuff that was hanging about the living room with no proper place to go, put away but not quite all.  It is starting to look like a decent living room though.  Well lived in to be sure but not quite so hoarderish as it was.

And then it was time to get knitting for my zoom call set up.  I thought about Marcus' fingerless gloves, but with the stripes, it was really too complicated.


I picked socks.  They are the perfect knitting for chatting and for those days when your brain may not be all there.  


Sock one is done of this pair of leftover socks.  It's wonderfully bright and fun to wear in the dark of winter.  It's so long since I knit socks of any sort, that it all felt really fresh and just down home kind of nice.

After my call was done, I wasn't sure what to work on.  I was not in the mood for anything challenging.  Plus I really want to get these family gifts done first before any big sweater knitting happens.  I looked at all sorts of glove and fingelrless mitten designs, but there wasn't anything quite right.  I decided to just go with the glove pattern from Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and worked on that for a while.  Stockinette wasn't giving me what I wanted. The yarn was just too fine.  I thought about adding the mohair again, but that would make it too slipperly for driving.  I thought about knitting a lace pattern, but the yarn is so colourful, it would just get lost.  What I really wanted was something more substantial.  I also kept thinking about my own favourite wristwarmers, a pair I made using twisted ribbing.  

So I doubled the yarn and I am doing a simple twisted stitch ribbing.  
  

It will knit up faster and be doubley warm and crisp for those chilly days to come.  Plus, it evens out any colour pooling.  It looks great.  I do have some other yarn for fancier gloves for her sometime, but for on the way to work, these are better.

As quickly as that started, I was done with it.  It will be good knitting the rest of this week, but with all the choices made, I was over the thrill of starting it.

I went to the sock bag to see what else was going on there.  A couple weeks ago, when I was moving some stuff around, I came across another delight from RCY, two skeins of their own yarn, Touchdown in the Saskatchewan Rough Rider Colourway and a skein of the complimentary Hat Trick Semi Solid in the rich Rider green.  I knid of forgot that I had these in my WIP bins.



I had made my mom some Rider Pride socks because she does love her football, and I was trying to make a pair of wristwarmers to match.  I didn't have any luck sorting it out and to date, I don't think the ladies have had any luck finding a designer to give it a go successfully.   Gridiron really is a play on the way this yarn is dyed.  Some things are not meant to be, I guess, but this is such great yarn.   I hate to leave it languish, so I am making a matching pair of gridiron socks for me.  

And that was my day.  A bit of this, a bit of that, and not a whole lot of any one thing.

No comments: