Friday 16 July 2021

Continues

Made it through another week.  And that is a good thing.  But I have not managed to carve out time to do more than the basics around the house.  I cnnot compete with the me when my kids were small.  I did all the things then and still had time to cross stitch and sew and read paper books extensively.


Ah well.  By three p.m. my sidekicks will be heading home for the weekend.  It seems to be working for all of us even the cats, who miss their little boy a lot when he is gone.  Marcus said this morning that it was not so many days that he hardly miss me at all.  He did admit that he missed dad a lot everyday, but he was happy to be home lots and at grandmas lots.  That is what we were hoping for because wouldn't it be awful having to spend long weeks only at grandmas all summer?

I am looking forward to a lot of knitting.  I plan to knit and watch a nw Icelandic show on Netflix called Katla.  It looks interesting, not quite my usual thing so I will give it a go.  All the Icelandic things I have watched have been really great TV and they are marvelous for knitting.  The pace is parfect, slow like real life would be but also enough going on that you are engaged utterly in the moment.  

This weekend, I hope to be cutting out a few more tops to sew too.  The last batch of fabrics I ordered just for tops should be here this afternoon and they will go directly into the wash after which they can be cut out.  I will hope for some sewng next week.  It is a good plan.  I know that I did not get to sew this week, but both fabrics that are waiting are a bit challenging to sew.  A very slippery rayon dress and a thin knit are not easy.  I want them to look good so I need to take time to do it all right and the amount of time I need in a chunk isn't quite there.  I expect both to be done this weekend.

I did not have a garden I lived off of all winter for many years and I found that a lot of work when we restarted that.  I was hoping to find that having some chickens and some pigs for summer was more work than I thought.  I know that knitting takes longer than I thought and it is easier than I thought too. Doing for yourself takes a lot of work, no matter what it is.  

And yet I find myself completely taken off gaurd by how much time the sewing takes.   I am surprised at how long it takes me to sit and sew something.  One pair of pants takes a  whole afternoon.  four seams, and some hemming and a bit of elastic wizardry.  It just doesn't seem like it should take so long.  Well, five seams really.  I was forgetting the one at the waistband.  But still.  I don't have an industrial machine, just an ordinary home one.  I could have had a faster sewing industrial machine very like the one I did buy, but I am not planning to do lots of sewing, just sewing for me. What I have will do what I need and it has a really surperior needle threader.  So there is that.  The industrial machine wouldn't have been all that much more money but I doubt that I would have gotten the sewing done faster.

My sewing continues, the knitting continues, everything continues.  It is the merry middle of it all and you know what?  That really is a very nice thing.  

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

Sounds as if you are doing some babysitting this summer. My Grandkids are beyond that stage but I do remember how tired I would get.