Wednesday 14 July 2021

Finding out feet

This is a handcraft house.  Crochet items are used like this in the mornings, 

please note the boy under the blanket.  His toes occasionally stick thorugh and I ply little piggy with them just to bug him.  He loves it.  Really.

And though there is no knit or crochet in this picture, there is the girl of my heart


being just as goofy as her brother.

We are three weeks into this gig, and we are all adapting.  They miss mom and dad and their cats more than I can say, but two nights at grandmas, then a night home, then a night at grandmas and home for the weekend seems to be a decent balance for me and for them.  It isn't just one long stretch at my place, they don't get tired of my cooking and they don't fight because they just miss mom and dad and are expressing their unhappiness that way.  It  does mean grandma has to drive early a couple mornings a week but hey, it is only gas and I am not paying for it and I get to sleep every few nights without subconciously worrying about them.  I may not be getting quite so much knitting and sewing done as usual, but the kitchen is tidier, a tryuly sad pay off.  

I am still working on the green top.  In the heat, it is far better knitting the very large shawl.  The sewing is what I most need to get done and that is the last thing to be done and that is leading to a bit of trouble, in that most of my clothes are just not built for this heat.  Even my cotton knit tops are a bit warm for this intensity.  We are doing better that way, as the heat lasts.  It is almost bearable, but mostly because it gets lovely and cool at night.  

I did discover a wee hiccup in my plan to start the raglan part of the shaping.  There are nine plain rounds to do before the raglan kicks in.  I am kind of glad I decided to mark where I was on this pattern.  Thank heavens that Adobe has added the comment stuff to the reader!

Yes I use Adobe Reader and not Knit Companion.  Maybe Knit Companion works for some people, but I would be willing to bet that 80 percent of the users were apple people.  It only wants to work with my tablet in portrait mode and for me that is a deal breaker.  It also means smaller type and that is not going to happen.  I just found that the kind of tools and the way I wanted to use it just are not there, or are not there in the free version, and why pay for it when I can use what Reader does for free in any orientation?

I sit here beside my cabinet, as I get ready to send the kiddies outside for a few hours, and I am looking at all my yarns, my lovely colourful so pretty things and I am just aching to start something new.  The Quoddy Blue sweater, Olga's green sweater, the simple cardigan made of lacewight alpaca, the cones of red spootweight that I don't quite know what will be yet.  Sigh.  I will, in time knit it all.  But first the shawl. It really wants to be done first, needs to be don e first.  Time for all the rest later. 

No comments: