Tuesday 8 June 2021

Paper and Tape.

I did work on sewing stuff all day yesterday, but not quite on what I said.  

I spent the entire day with paper and tape putting patterns for tops together and trying to get the pattern 'put me together pile' down to something sensible. I ended up printing one pattern for the second time and had to put that together first.  

When I printed out the Torrens Box Top the first time, plenty of nice photos here of how versatile a patttern this is for all sizes, I wasn't sure I wanted to use it as is.  I sewed a black long sleeved top grading between shoulder size and hip size with it. Pants were easy.  Go big or go home, but tops?  I have no idea.  That first black top was a great sample of what this pattern can do and be, but I want to try it based on how they say it should fit and perform, so this second print out is to cut it out as is and see what happens.  

There is also a very good possibility that this top will shortly be a dress pattern as well. (Hacked by me)

Just fyi, I do like that black top.  It has been worn and washed regularly but it is a long sleeved black knit fabric top.  It is kind of winter wear.  This time, what I am looking for is a top that could be overwear as well as summer wear.  

I think I am going to keep putting patterns together today.  The ones I printed so far, are ones I want to sew soon, like the Waikere shirt and the Otis overalls.  I also need to put the Waikere dress expansion pack together  because there is a ton of dress fabric here for this summer too. There is a little free tiered dress pattern that I have some really sweet yellow fabric for that needs to get put together too.  It is a very long time between yellow dresses.

Putting takes a long time, and is a category of this sewing adventure I wasn't really expecting, but not having the patterns ready to go seems to be becoming a bit of a roadblcok to actual construction and sewing.  As usual, I do best when I have dealt with my mental roadblocks first.  Putting together everything deals with it.  It is all ready to go. 

The other thing about putting patterns together time is that it is fantastic reading time.  Audio book of course, but it doesn't take a lot of brain power so you can really sink into a good book.  I am about two thirds through the second Vera Stanhope novel, and as anyone who has read any of Ann Cleeves work, this is the point of almost unbearable need to knowness.  All the clues are coming thick and fast.  All the truths of each character beginning to be revealed.  I need to read the rest of this book.  There is a very good possibility that I thought of putting patterns together just to read more of this book.  

I also have an Atticus Punt book just at the part where the Atticus Punt book starts as well.  That may not make sense till you have read these Anthony Horowitz novels, but they are seriously fine.  Seriously.  There may be yet another day of printing patterns and putting them together before I am done just for the joy of reading!

Paper and tape is today's adventure.  With a dash of good book on the side.

No comments: