Wednesday 9 June 2021

Like Puzzles

If you liked setting puzzles, you would enjoy putting patterns together in this modern world.  There is a general plan and thank heaven the pages are numbered, but still, it feels like setting puzzles.

It looks like it is going to be another day of putting together for me.  I have a zoom this afternoon, if there are any other takers, that is, but if there were not it would be fine.  I would just bury my head in Atticus Punt and keep sticking things together.  I finished the second Vera Novel, Telling Tales by Ann Cleeves.  I did not see that end coming.  Not at all and yet, knowing the whole, I can see it now in the way that character was the whole way through.  Excellent writing.  I am so glad I did not read her as she was putting out this series.  What a wonderful thing to have now to look forward to. 

I put the Waikere pattern together yesterday and was aiming for the Waikere dress conversion today though there may not be time.  The zooms often go nice and long and the Waikere dress conversion is a whopping 88 pages long.  I am not certain that leaves enough hours in the day to do the whole thing in one fell swoop.  I can see why Muna and Broad are splitting up this dress design to make two separate patterns.  

I might put the only pants pattern I have not yet sewn from Muna and Broad, their newest Birchgrove, together.  It features a much narrower leg than any of the other patterns.  Now it might seem that if I had four pants patterns, I wouldn't need another and could just narrow the leg myself, but I have tried that and screwed that up before.  I am only a newbie at pants and at this point feel more comfortable with a pattern to follow.  

Part of putting the patterns together is figuring out just what size I will be using.  As I said, pants was easy, but a new shirt creates some room to question myself.  I am much much more familair with top sewing and fitting.  I can adapt the various bits easily enough, but I do want to end up with something that looks and fits the way this blouse seems to.   Will I be able to get a nice closer looking fit on the shoulders from this pattern as well as having the room at the hips?  I think so, but the only way to know for sure is to see how it starts as written, fitting the pattern as is first and trying it on and then adapting the design to get what I want.  That is how I started knitting sweaters the way I do now and that has turned out quite well.
 
Today is oddly well framed.  I think I am going to make some potatoe soup for supper, it being another rainy cool day (Yipeeeee) and maybe some biscuits fresh from the oven for with it.    And with the oven on, I may as well make something for desert too.  Maybe a one pan cake with a custard over top to serve as the base for some rhubarb I plan to steal from the neighbour.  She won't mind.  Keith asked her if we could and she was happy someone would take some.    

A full day, I expect, and different than some, but fromed with all the things I enjoy.  I fully expect it to be a day of paper and tape, like a puzzle but different.

No comments: