Tuesday 29 June 2021

And sew on

Too darn hot to do much of anything.  I did knit two rounds on my little green top but the next round is an increase round and I need to print off a copy of the pattern for that.  It is under heavy use by small people at the moment and even though I told myself, I wasn''t going to let them use it, grandma is a sucker for a sweet face and those beautiful blue and brown eyes begging me to please, please let them borrow it.  I will try do do bettter today though.  The yarn for the Shetland Shawl forever edging is at the post office according to Canada Post and it will get picked up this week.  I have one ball to work through so this should be about perfect for working on that.  Plus the giant shawl is in one enormous bag that makes it supremely easy to take here and there around the house.   And I do mean around the house.


We have been hiding in the basement, where it is very cool.  I haven't been down there in over a year so it feels weird to be in someone else's space.  But there was all sort of fun to be had with cushions  


because we had to talk to Uncle Keith about how to operate his tv system.  


But we have it now.  We are going to watch Teletubbies on Prime on Uncle Keith's account so we can despoil his otherwise pristine algorithym. Bwahahahaha

The dress might get hemmed today.  I say might because I will have to get Cassie to mark the hem.  It was just too hot after Keith got home from work.  I sure wish I was wearing it.

The madras cotton is light, almost too light.  It is on the verge of being see through and is as far from cotton braodcloth as wool boradcloth would be.  It is perfect for the hot weather we are having and the way this dress is cut, it's wide simple top, and it's ethereal gathers catch to cool air under it and make every move cooling.  

If I was at a different place in my life, I would have never had the bravery to wear something that is oversized as this is.  I found it hard to do the oversized look in the 80's and I was barely overwieght then.   I am pretty sure that my mom would still tell me it doesn't do anything for me, short and wide as I am.  The truth is though that whatever size I ever was was not hidden by clothes. It has never been hidden by style or by cut and even as a young person in high school weighting in at 104 pounds, my hips and shelfie butt were still very much housefrau hips and shelfie butt.  

I am what I am and it is such a relief to be able to say that.  To be able to feel that.  To know deep inside that every other person on the planet has no right to decide what looks 'good' that they never did.  And yet the ads and the TV shows are full of people helping you dress right or better.  The rule of me is, does it make me feel good wearing it?  If the answer is yes, I am game.  That is what matters.  Short wide me will wear a short wide dress with joy and I will admire it all the more for how cool it will keep me.

I have to be careful with the sewing thing though.  The Torrens box top is really comfortable to wear and the fabrics are all down right cheap at the moment as the winter stock will soon arrive.  At under two metres per top, it is incredibly difficult not to order a bunch more fabric just for more liitle cool tops.  The idea is sto sew it all down from here, not to add more. Harumphhhhh

No comments: