Monday 4 January 2021

The giant ball.

I didn't start anything new as of yesterday morning.  As of yesterday afternoon that was no longer true.

I didn't mean for it to happen but I was digging in a box of yarn and I saw this giant ball.



It is enormous.  Huge.  Three or four skeins all wound into one giant ball of yarn. I fell for the pull to knit from the giant ball.  It struck me as the perfect goofy way to start the year.   

The yarn is Rowans Cotton Jeans .  It was a very early purchase and I knit a nice sweater out of it, but the sweater had a fatal flaw that made the hemline crooked. There was no way to trick it to straight so I pulled it all out.  But I do love this yarn.  It is a nice worsted cotton that looks like worn tatty jeans when it is knit up and feels like that too.   It is going to be a very simple t shirt style top, perfect for spring and cooler days in summer. 

 


I have only four tops for summer wear and if I look deep into the WIP bin there may an unlisted on Ravelry beginning of a sweater out of the lacewight linen.  These are not enough to be getting on with so some of my knitting plans for this year are for more summer tops.  

I have a fair sized stash of cottons and lightweight cotton or linen blends and would love to see them converted to garments for everyday wear.  I so enjoyed what I knit last year, particularly the top of Patons Hempster.  


  This yarn may feel stiff while knitting it but it changes when it is washed and is the nicest fabric.  It is somewhere between cotton and linen on the need for summer scale.  I really want another top made with it before Patons changes their mind about it and stops producing it.  It really is nice.
 
Today isn't going to be much of a knitting day.  It feels like the first day of normal after a long period of Sundays.  The landlord is back at work and I need to re-establish my daily routine such as it was before blankets took up my days.  My cutting table awaits and it is time to sew. 

No comments: