Sunday 3 January 2021

Happy New Year too!

And this is what I have been doing since then.  

I started a new sweater from the green yarn  from my jacket knit that I no longer really needed.  I mentioned that the other day.  Very interesting knitting a sweater in parts, sort of.  It is modular but there are not a lot of seams.  Even where there are seams, a canny knitter could do a three needle bind off and call it good or graft it.  

This is the back of the sweater and its very interesting construction will allow shaping in all sorts of way as you knit.  I will point out where I make the changes as I go so you can see what is up with it. 




In my estimation, after reading the pattern through, it ranks right up there with Elizabeth Zimmermann for the interesting approach to making a garment.  It doesn't surprise me at all, because Deb Gemmell has always been an interesting sort of knitter.  Longtime owner along with her sister, Lyn, of Cabin Fever, she has published many many books of good basic patterns designed to put you in the drivers seat.  I love that.  I love people who believe enough in an individual knitter to know there are a host of things we can do by ourselves if we have just a wee bit of help getting there.  

I am having a lot of fun with it and finally, with this yarn.  I wasn't sure I could say that before, but I can now and I am feeling really good about where it is going.

It still is knitting on big needles and there is only so long I am happy to do that.  I pulled this out of a WIP bin and am working on it as well.  My Threipmuir is coming along nicely.  



You cannot see it from the photo but I have just moved into the last of the colourwork sections where only the tip of the feathers remain to be knit.  The blue may have a less than desirable amount of contrast, but the feathers are the brilliant yellow and there is no problem seeing those clearly defined stitches.  

I haven't started anything brand spanking new and I am very much okay with that.  There are so many nice things on the go and I really want to see them finished.  There are socks to finish.  There are sweaters to complete.  There are pretty shawls I want to see done to wear.  I have one still from the time before and well...as much as I would like to hold on to that past, for all the reasons I wish it were not the past, I would not give up today for a minute.  

If there was anything this miserable covid year has taught me, it is that we live in today in the now even though it doesn't do everything we want.  Each tiny moment in time is all we ever really have.  I intend to waste those moments wisely and to enjoy every speck of each one.   

No comments: