Friday 9 October 2020

Happy Thanksgiving

I really hoped to be able to tell you that I had started the last colour of yarn on my shawl.  I pushed for that all day.  I got close.  I am only a round of purl and half a pattern round away from it.  It was just not meant to be.  

What is meant to be is that I am starting to think about what lace edging I will use.  I had been thinking about a fairly significant one all along, since the centre square of the shawl is not huge.  I thought using a nice wide border would cap any short coming it may have in the size war, but now, I don't know.  I think I won the size war.  I have plenty of yarn. I took care of that battle.

So now it is just down to the outermost lace. I will be thinking a lot about this the next week, as I finish up the border.  

But for now, for this morning, I just want to say out to the whole wide world how thankful I am.  I am thankful, forever thankful that so far, through this difficult times, all my sons have been able to stay working. My daughter in law was laid off for a bit, but she is back to work now and the outlook for winter is good. I am thankful that none of us has gotten sick. I am thankful that we have all had enough to get by on.  

I am thankful that back in the day, I accumulated a stash of unusual size of lovely yarns, for almost every purpose so that I can knit as much as I need to even though I wish I could knit 24 hours a day just to do all the things I want to do.  I am thankful that I have enough that I can buy almost all the books I want to read and watch by streaming or buying all the movies and tv shows I want.  Almost.  I am thankful that I can afford these things.  I am thankful that I can afford an occasional bottle of Bailey's.  

I am forever thankful that I have enough that I can live in a nice warm house and stay comfortable and dry no matter what the weather is.  I am thankful for the occasional power and water outages to remind me of how lucky I am when it is on.

I am thankful that the landlord is so gosh darn cheery about running errands for me like grocery shopping and picking up my packages for me.  Life would be much more difficult if he did not.  

I am thankful for coffee, that warm elixir of mornings and that porridge remains a thing when I am hungry.  I am thankful that I came to understand the joy of wool socks and that mohair exists and that if I wanted to have a nap in the middle of the day, I can.

It is Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada.  I wish all of you a warm and cozy Happy Thanksgiving.



No comments: