Thursday 23 July 2020

Cleaning out the drawers

I did do a bunch of sewing yesterday and I sorted through the rest of my clothes.  As I thought, most of them belong in one place only:  The garbage.

When I was done tops, I had a single Ikea Malm 3 drawer dresser drawer full of shirts and tops.  I folded the sitting laundry and assessed each piece of clothing there and came away with the tops I made two years ago, and two more t shirts.  There is an entire drawer for hand knit summer tops and plenty of room for whatever other tops I want to sew. Yippeeeeeeeee.

I have room to knit more!  Which did make me take a look at the cotton yarns I have in my stash.  What to knit for next summer and next spring?  This year there have been so many great top designs come out and not just top down round yoke things either.  I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon matching yarn on hand with patterns.  

I did come across a few tops that made me stop to think.  I bought three shirsts in 2012, nice easy cotton shirts, that had unfortunately awkward to iron pockets.  I wore them when I was working but not at all since.  They have lots of wear in them yet and I am debating what to do.  At the very least I could sew up the awkward pockets and cut out the excess fabric.  I could also refashion them somewhat.  I could put them into the used clothing bins down on main street.  I'm not sure if I need to keep them and I have no ideas on how I would refasion them at all.  I have to think on this a bit but I am giving myself a strict time limit.  I want to know by the end of today.  That way, they will be good, or be gone.

I did find two pairs of pants that are worth fixing so the sewing today is still going to be repairs.  Updated to add.  Yeah.  So not going here.  All morning and I don't even have the seams ripped out from pair one.  so over repairs.  Going to sew something new.

The one thing I am finding is how much more difficult sewing is this time versus two years ago when I was sewing.  Two years ago, I could go the better part of a day.  Right now, the black things make it hard to get past an hour and a half before I need to take a good long time to rest my eyes.   My black sewing table doesn't help.  The lamp not having a bulb makes it much harder and that the sewing machine bulb has been burned out (hard to find base size) since forever and a day ago, and well, none of that helps. Note to self:  put lamp bulb on grocery list. Still it is all getting done and I am really looking forward to cutting some pretty new cloth.  

First pjs, then pants, then long sleeved tops for winter.  Till I get to tops, long sleeves will be seasonally appropriate!

I know this isn't knitting but before any knitting and wool stuff, I really do have to get this done.  I hope you can bear with me for a wee bit longer.  There will be finished products in another day or so.  And with a small bit of effort, some evening knitting in the mix too.




1 comment:

Sigrun said...

I messaged you on Ravelry.