Wednesday 13 May 2020

Thinking about Stash Dash

After knitting on the Brown Thing for days, I am probably going to...knit on the brown thing again today.  Probably but I may just take the day and knit on some pretty things.  And I may not knit at all.

I am going with the flow today and am just not going to worry about it.

You see, I am trying to decide if I ought to join Stash Dash this year.  Stash Dash is that time of year where you compete against yourself by setting a goal of number of metres of finished goods you produce between May 22 and August 22 from works in progress or from yarns you have in your stash before the whole thing  begins. Some years I do wonderfullly well and some years, I just suck at it, and keep doing stuff with new yarns and new projects leaving all my WIPs sitting waiting.  Some years, I don't get all that much knit.  Of all the competition things I have ever done, this is the only one I enjoyed even a little.

I am not really driven by competition at all.  It probably goes back to never winning at bingo at Grandmas house but if I can avoid competeing, even against myself, I do and I have always been that way.  

Stash Dash is a little different.  It's just me and only me, knitting along with a bunch of other people and chatting with them in a place where I normally wouldn't be chatting that much.  I think that is very much part of it for me. The chat thread always has something happening on it and there are knitters of all different stripes there.  And spinners too. And it is from things you already have on the go.  I think that is my favourite part, that it is about finishing things and getting your WIP bins enough room to knit new stuff next fall.  

So this morning, I am looking at my WIPs again to see if I could possibly start one more thing before the Dash starts.  Right now, I have 5 shawls, 



7 sweaters,




 and a couple pairs of socks on the go.  And for good measure, one pair of wristwarmers.

You would think this is enough.  I know.  I know, but one of the sweaters is almost complete. Now right there, that is my brain in action with knitting.  In my brain, the brown sweater, which still needs 2 inches of legnth and a ribbing, plus two sleeves is almost complete.  Let me say that in another way.  The brown sweater has just over a third of the knitting remaining, but to my brain, it is almost complete.

I probably won't be starting another sweater, but I was thinking about maybe another small project.  If I get stuck in snit the middle of something, another small simple project might be just the thing to take me out of my snit. I do have a pair of wristwarmers on my needles for bed time but no mittens.  Maybe some mittens for winter?  And I did catch myself thinking about knitting another cowl out of something and a mohair.  I wear the Huj Tub cowl I finished last fall every single day. 



Now wouldn't that be a lovely thing?  A green tube with a haze of softly shifting moahir colour. 

You never know where the day will go.  It may adventure into new knitting and it may stay working quarantine style and stick with what it already has on the needles.  

No comments: