Friday 15 May 2020

Somewhere Between Order and Chaos

I have been doing some skyping, which I haven't really done before.  I don't really facetime either.  These have only been an occasional thing and it is almost always because someone else calls me.  We started doing it with our family some Saturday mornings because my mom and dad, who have really missed getting out for their regular Saturday morning breakfast needed company.  That has been lovely.  I have also spent time with my spinning buddy and that has meant so much to me and I talked with my grandkids occsionally too.

I have had to figure out the best way to do it here.  My laptop would be the best quality video but the laptop resides in my study/bedroom and the shot would include a nice view of my bed and my bathroom and NO ONE needs to see that.  @ratemyskyperoom on Twitter would call that background a complete and utter fail.

The trick is to avoid big windows and this house, even in my bedroom area, is all about big bright light.  I love it but it makes skype a bit tricky.  I have been using this setup to give me a backdrop that is at least out of the overbright light.



The nice thing is, that the view is limited because this is the rest of the room.


And lest you think it bad housekeeping, I have to tell you that I cleaned that room Wednesday.  Clean and tidy are two very different things in my books.  I am clean.  Ish.  I am not tidy. 


On the the twitter page @ratemyskyperoom, American Dr. Fauci has a full room view like this but his space is ordered with stacks of tidy books that overwhelm full shleves in tidy piless on the floor and you cannot help but know tha he has read or used every book in there.  His order among the chaos is the best thing you learn from that full room shot. 

For some people, like my mom and my good friend Deb, cleaning and tidying is their hobby.  They enjoy the act of it and they deeply enjoy  the clean ordered space around them.  I get that.  I love ordered space but my way of getting to ordered space is different.  Order for me is not a result of clenaing and putting away.  Order for me is a result of having a place for  all your stuff in the first place. 

I think that odd way of looking at order drives how I am able to limit my collecting.  I adored finding my little blue and white things, but then one day, I just knew it was done.  I enjoy the looking at it when I am out but I am not driven to have more.  It keeps my yarn stash in check, even though I am certain Mr Needles didn't see that.  (Still makes me laugh sometimes at his reaction/nonreaction to all that yarn) 

I do have a place for my stuff even though the living room floor is covered in it.  It doesn't bother me because I do have a place for it to go should I need it.  There are only a few things that I do not have a place for and I am working to resolve that.

Sometimes it is worse.  Sometimes, even I wish I had never allowed my knitting to come out of my study. Ah well, there you go.

I believe we are our best selves when accept our quirks.  Cleanish but not worried about it is one of mine.  I am just glad I have a corner and that the world of skype doesn't have to see the truth of the rest of the room on any particular Saturday morning.  I can face it.  They shouldn't have to.       

In knitting news, I am delighted that Friday brings this!


I have a few more rounds to go before cast off and then I will move along to the sleeves.  Another week or so and this one should be done.


No comments: