Friday 28 February 2020

The Test

Well that is it then.  My test is complete.

My doctors say that I should stop drinking coffee.  I have cut back to 2 cups a day.  It kills me to do it.  I mean, I love my coffee.  Seriously.  I even bought a Kuerig coffee machine to help.  This way instead of having a pot of coffee always facing me, calling me, I only have one cup at a time.  

I am playing coffee games a bit.  I do generally use the pods filled with Maxwell House.  (This one brand does not give me headaches.  It was a tip from a co worker with MS on a recommendation from her doctor.  It works.  No headaches.)  I want to have a few pre made pods on hand so that when company comes, I don't  have  to mess about filling pods. Last time I picked up a box, I inadvertently grabbed decaf.  

I thought about it.  Maybe decaf would free me to drink as much as I wanted.  So I would start my day as usual and then have a cup of decaf later in the morning.  The box is empty now so I guess my test is complete.  

Did it work?  Am I now free to drink as much coffee as I want? Absolutely not.  

I look back to last week when I started this decaf adventure with my blog posts.  I checked my journaling to see what was noted.  And do you know what?  I can see the decaf in my accomplishments for the last week, culminating in yesterday's  misery knitting.  


This is what was successful.  I knit a few stitches here and there and just felt nothing was right.  I started the I cord which  I decided I do need for my blue sweater, and couldn't sit even for that.  It's four stitches and sublimely restful knitting and it felt like nails on a chalkboard.  I did stuff here and there and just couldn't seem to find anything that worked.  I felt twitchy and jumpy and like a little kid when they are told to sit still.

And that is the decaf at work in me.  Years ago when I worked in an office and drank lots if coffee, I found this same thing.  Decaf makes me twitchy.  Finding my hyper focus was impossible.  And that is how I feel today. 

So this weekend I will clean the decaf out of my system and will return to normal, shortly.  I hope.  It is possible that there are other factors at play.  Like having to deal with pictures from long ago.  Like getting rid of yet another thing from the past but I think, more than anything, the twitchy is the decaf. 

It's nice that this test is done.  It's even nicer that I will get two cups of really great coffee.  Not so nice as having as much as I want, but hey.  




No comments: