Wednesday 18 December 2019

Calling a Thing a Library

Well, what happened to yesterday?  Not sure about you, but I spent the day sitting here unable to warm up.  The furnace was running.  I was wearing layers and layers of wool, but I could not get warm.  Is that ever part of migraines?  Because it might be for me.  Midday, I took a hot shower and went back to bed.  I wasn't aware of sleeping, but I must have.  When I got up, it was late in the day and time to make supper.  Just after supper, I layered my wrist warmers and put on socks, slippers and a shawl and I had a good night's sleep and  I feel a thousand percent better today.  

Plus The Taming of the Shrew is on TCM, one of my favourite movies and the are just at the part where Petruchio and Katarina are landing in the piles of fleeces in the attics.  It's a delightful scene made more so because I now know these are nice clean fleeces and admire the idea of a pile of fleeces in a home, ready for spinning through the dark winter days.  

Which makes me think of all things sheep.  Now that the batts are gone, what remains are two enormous tubs and several more reasonable sized containers of fleece.  Thankfully, all have been washed and just need carding or combing. 

I am also thinking of fleece because when I set up my tree, I had to get behind and under furniture which meant un hiding the various bags of fiber and the boxes with the combs.

I do believe that last year I said finishing the prepping was my goal and well, I missed that by a mile.  But perhaps once the blue sweater is done, the urge to be warm will be satisfied and I can focus on other things.  I really would love to get that fibre ready for spinning.  I would love that stockpile to be in  smaller containers.  It is my dream that all the spinning fibre is used up and I feel right about purchasing more.  

Funny how that feeling has never struck me with yarn.  Ever. 

A stash of yarn is like having your own library.  Having a library never stopped me from needing to read more, or from buying books.  I like just going to a shelf and choosing something and reading it.  I love going to my yarn stash and just picking something and knitting it.  

Maybe it is time to look at my fibre pile as a library.  There are several kinds  of fleece to process and tons of commercially prepared top ready to go.  It is a library of sorts too. Let us see if changing what I call it, changes how fast I prep it.




No comments: