Friday 25 October 2019

Hun is a Honey of a Thing

I am sitting here this morning wearing my completed version of the Hun sweater.



There isn't anything like it.  Putting something on that you took from yarn to wearable garment is simply the most amazing thing.  Nothing compares to this feeling.  Nothing.  It is such a sense of fulfillment of a goal, of a challenge, of proof to me that I can do this, of proof to the universe that this knitting thing is mine, that there is only the mill and the mail system between me and the sheep (gross oversimplification but still). 

Even knitters will think that I am a bit crazy to be talking like this, but some of you will know.  Knitting is the very heart of me and I have a very deep emotional connection to it and my yarn.      

I am also sitting here with only my nightgown on so there is plenty of skin to skin contact going on here and it isn't itchy.  There might be an itchy spot on an edge, but it is momentary and it goes away if I leave it alone, but the rest of the garment feels exactly like when I wear my Einband shawl.  When I am swathed in Icelandic wool it does not feel itchy.  It feels like there is a cushion of warm surrounding me, a soft cozy secret cushion of warmth.    

I know that many people are not able to do this, to wear Lopi against their skin.  I accept that I may possibly be weird in this matter, but I urge you,  don't just hold yarn against your neck and say ' oo, it is too itchy'.  You will be missing some of the most amazing things about Icelandic yarns if you skip it because of one small touch. You really have to swath yourself in it to understand.  

Or maybe I am reading this wrong.  Maybe I should be telling you all to just keep on thinking Icelandic wools are so itchy.  That way there will be more for me.  
  

1 comment: