Thursday 4 July 2019

Top Day

As you can tell if you read this blog every day, I am principally working on three things right now:  The yellow top, the blue top and the shawl.

You saw the shawl yesterday so I guess today is top day.  Yay.  

Or something like that. Project monogamy is rather dull to write about at this stage of the game.  The tops are not dull at all though the writing and reading may be.


I have the yellow one looking like a real top now, not just this circular piece of lovely lace.   And it is a really nice lace. I wouldn't mind knitting more of it at all.  I keep wondering if I could use it at the underarm, as part of the increase section and then I chicken out from giving it a go, and then I wonder all over again.  I worry about the whole fabric becoming just a bit more see through than I would be comfortable with.  It is more of a fingering weight yarn at the moment though it should bloom a bit in time and it isn't see through unless you stretch it.  The lace on top may be a different story. As it settles itself out to what it will be, I fear the lace may be more revealing than I would like it to be. It may be one of those things that I will feel better wearing a camisole with which would make my worry about how much one would see with a side panel of lace moot.  You see how this can go round and around in my brain, don't you?  If not, you are lucky and I envy you.  I am trying to make a firm decision on this but no.  Round and round it goes.  Another inch of knitting and it will be too late to think of adding it but I will then be beset with the worry of 'is it' and 'will I' (Is it long enough and will I run out of yarn.) .

I should be clear here.  It isn't worry really.  Dithering is probably a more appropriate word to use but worry is quicker to type.

And the blue top.  Now the blue top is interesting.


The yarn for the blue top is Elann Sonata from way back and is a nice reliable DK.  It knits faster and its coverage is not in doubt at all.  To put a lace panel at the underarm for this yarn is much more likely.  I would like to add it in as part of the increases and I think I know how it would work, but I really need to put my plan into action to see if what I hope would happen, would happen.  I have a couple rows at the underarm completed.  Now it is time to lay it on the line and actually start.

There are a few tops out and about this summer with lace panels at the underarm, but my constant inspiration is much much closer, coming from a sweater I knit several years ago.  


It was based on Norah Gaughan's Greagle, though I took quite a few liberties with the sweaters construction.  The increases are completely hidden within the lace which I thought was a pretty masterful trick.  This remains one of my favourite things I have ever knitted.  The yarn, Remix is pretty darn fantastic.  I can throw it in the washer and dryer and it comes out looking great plus it is a comfy long sleeve option in summer.  

So wish me luck.  It is time to play lace and play lace I shall.  It may not go anywhere, but the whole point of my knitting is that it is all a state of play disguised as wonderful handmade clothing. 


No comments: