Tuesday 16 April 2019

More Adventures

When I was going through yarn a few weeks ago, I pulled out a few things that I would like to use for Cassie.  She has a little top from a few years ago


That she dearly loves and still tries to wear, but she has a bit of trouble getting it over her head.  I know why she loves it too.  It was the bamboo based yarns that she loves the feel of. 

I don't have a lot of things with Bamboo or rayon like fabrics where the rayon like feel is what gives the yarn its character.  I did have this.


It is a bamboo nylon blend and is just wonderfully slinky.  I purchased it for a shawl of some kind but there is lots to make my Cassie a top.

I found four skeins of red and two of white in a box of un-entered on Ravelry stash.   It's Flirt, an adult reskeining of  Sirdar's Baby Bamboo. 

It was kind of a tough call but I have been thinking about intarsia in the round lately and have been thinking of trying the technique so the red and white won the day.


I have almost 600 metres of yarn so I am going to aim for the basic but very modern shape of Little Boxy by Joji Locatelli.  It is worked bottom up so I am already worried about yarn consumption. I'm backing myself up with a ball of white Kertzer bamboo sock yarn.  It may be a different gauge than the Baby bamboo, but it's what I have on hand. My other and more likely option is trying to find Baby Bamboo in this kind of red or pure white or back.  

The plan is to start the intarsia in the middle of the front and to switch colours in the middle of the back.  Each colour will be offset from each other, sort of like, so that when one side of the front is red the other will be white, in the same way her little top is offset in the first photo.  This will be regular through the body of the sweater and if, please heaven, if I have enough yarn, will go back to red only to do shoulders and sleeves. 

It's an adventure right?  A kind of dangerous one if you consider the prospect of knitting this way without any idea of what kind of yarn consumption you will have.  In truth the only danger is that it won't work out and I will have to go back and reknit, working in a bit of a different dye lot or colour of Baby Bamboo.  Time is the only real loss and since this is all about learning a new technique, no loss at all.  Just adventure.     

No comments: