Wednesday 12 December 2018

As sweet as things are...

No matter how sweet  things are, no matter how dark things are, life goes on around us willy nilly.  I found out today that very good longtime friend has cancer.  She isn't the only one among the people  know, but she is the nearest and most dear.  I've been out of touch for a while with her, through no fault of either of ours, more just that time gets away from us if we are not careful.  I guess I wasn't careful enough.

Once Brian and I knew what he was facing, he made a point to say 'Today, I have exactly the same chance as any other person on the earth of dying'  Occasionally he added, 'more so than the people walking across the corner at 170th Street'.   And he was absolutely right for most of his short illness and that statement meant more to me than he ever knew. It  bolstered me in all the ways I needed bolstering and shored me up when I wavered.

So that is what I will hold on to again.  Exactly the same chance as anybody else.   I pray that her outlook is ultimately a good one.  I would like to keep her here longer just to go to lunch with again or to have coffee with.

Meanwhile, life goes on around us willy nilly and that is how it is supposed to be.

No comments: