Monday 19 November 2018

Lost in the land of new knitting

I found myself with a whole day free with nothing planned or scheduled and that was as liberating as getting the kids things done.  There was nothing for it but to cast on another sweater.

Ever since I finished Granito, I thought about knitting with a 50 /50 cotton and wool blend I had in my stash. It was another deal from back in the day when Elann was a discounter and sold on their own website rather than through Amazon and when I had the funds to do as I wanted with yarn.*

 
Its grey green is so utterly dull, that when I first got this colour on the very, very good sale it was on, I was a bit put out that I had spent a whopping thirty five dollars on 20 balls and what on earth would I ever want to knit with it?   It's a pretty dull colour.

After Granito, where I very seriously underestimated the power of a nondescript yarn, I started to think very seriously about this yarns slate greigeness.  I wondered if it would do the same thing that the blue grey spotted stuff did on the Granito sweater.    I wondered if it would go from drabness to wow once it was knit and worn.  I thought I would test the theory and sat down to knit.

I did not want to have two very plain sweaters on the go at the same time, so I made a few plans before casting this one on.  I need basic sweaters, and something that will not take a bunch of math or thinking to knit but I also do not want to be bored to tears with it.  I will have a whole bunch of knitting time ahead of me while watching the kids.

 I started with saddle shoulders in a simple ribbed pattern.


I am keeping that rib going all the way down top of the arms and I put a narrower band of ribbing down the center front of the sweater, just to keep me on my toes.  I think there will be narrow bands of ribbing at the underarms too.  It will be a great way to keep my head busy instead of feeling like the two sweaters are a sea of stockinette.

This yarn is a nice DK weight so it is moving right along.  Now all I need to do is knit and enjoy the process of two things to become lost in, in the land of new knitting. 



*(I never ever forget how lucky I was and every time I knit I am thankful that I was so blessed.)            

No comments: