Wednesday 28 November 2018

Another little bit of magic.

I had been trying to avoid the pile of knitting that always seems to grow beside wherever I sit. 


It's not really working.  The idea is that everything would be stored in the yellow storage stools you see here, but they always have something on top of them, and stuff just never seems to get back inside thestools.  Someday, I will be tidier. Apparently not today though.

You can see the yellow and blue from Marcus's sweater there waiting to be put in the box where things wait to be put away on the next big stash dive.  There are a few other yarns in the pile, once pulled as prospects, that were meant to be put away too.  

The other day, mostly because I wasn't happy with the sweater, I grabbed a pair of needles from the dpn container sitting on the side table and just started to knit.


And again, magic happened!  I started this project thinking wristwarmers with a striped cuff and colourwork up the hand but honestly, I love the stripes, seriously love the way these colours look as simple stripes.

I decided to just go with what felt right so stripes it is.  Just stripes in small thumbless wrist warmers, the kind that are perfect to slip over gloves for that little bit of extra warmth.  

Speaking of wristwarmers, have you seen this?  Cat Bordhi's Cat's Family of Fingerless Mitts     .  I heard about it on the Knitmore Girls podcast and immediately took a look. Cat Bordhi always is interesting and this ebook of folios is her own special magic!

 I wear wristwarmers to bed every night.  I am not sure if I grip my hands tightly at night from cold or if it is from tension, but the wristwarmers at night make me sleep with the palm of my hands open and relaxed.  Instead of generally achy hands, I have hands itching to knit, already warmed up and rarin' to go.  I am wearing the Log Cabin Mitts constantly and I could really use another few pairs of something.  

Cat's book of wristwarmers is perfect.  They all have the longer cuff up the arm that seems to make such a difference to my hands and there are patterns in various weights of yarn, with lots of truly speedy DK and worsted weight designs.  

As soon as I bang out a few of these little joyous squares of stripes, I am going to hit the leftover yarn bin and knit me some yummy cushy Cat's Fingerless Mitts!

No comments: